Toxic Shock Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Toxic Shock Syndrome.
What symptoms did you experience with toxic shock syndrome?

I experienced severe upper stomach pain in my back and shoulders severe dehydration, vomiting, restlessness. It is almost unbearable. I have found that drinking water will help to promote the vomiting and alleviate the stomach pain a little faster. I do get a headache and it generally takes three days after the episode to feel better. My advice to others is to stop using tampons. This is what brings on TSS. I also take an antibiotic for a few weeks to make sure I have no infections. I have to say this is the worst pain I have ever felt. I have had this quite a few times. Each time it seems to get a little worse even if I wait two years to use tampons again I always get TSS. No more tampons for me.

My daughter died of TSS last June. She was only wearing a regular absorbency tampon and changed them like clockwork for fear of TSS. She started in the afternoon with vomiting, and a high temp, Ibuprofen took the temp to normal right away. The next day she had diarrhea and the next morning she woke up hurting all over her body. We went to the ER where her kidneys were already in failure. The next day she had Adult respiratory Distress syndrome and began having heart attacks. She died that night. .