Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle.
What caused your ankle fracture?

I am a 59 year old female and fell down the back steps where I work. I knew my foot was hurt badly because I couldn't even put any weight on it. They took me to the hospital and my ankle and the top of my foot is broken. I was off work for a week and have it in a boot with crutches. I have been back to work for a week and I thought setting at a desk would not be bad, but by the time I go home in the evenings I am nearly in tears. I am wondering how long it takes for the pain and swelling to ease up. I don't go back to the doctor for six weeks. .

Hi, I'm a caregiver and a patient. I live in an old house that has five large concrete steps on the front porch. I was leaving for work when my overloaded hands and packages wobbled, then I wobbled and thus began my downward spiral down the front steps. I was grabbing for the rail, and the large shrub next to the rail, to no avail, my left foot wrenched downward to the outside, I hit the first step with it bent and then another, and another. Foot scraping all the way down. I finally landed on the concrete walkway and into the grass. It took a bit before I could get up, no one anywhere in site to help. I finally got up and managed to hobble to the car. I thought it would be okay once I settled down in my office and rested, but it didn't and the pain and swelling just got worse. I went to the emergency room to have it looked at. Hours later, I was finally seen and they determined there were no beaks, but they couldn't tell about fractures because of the swelling. It's now three weeks later and I'm still swollen, pain has been pretty bad. I'll see my primary. After reading about fractures on this site and what causes them, I could easily see it being a fracture and understood a little more about my dilemma. I didn't get this much information from the emergency room doctor. When I see my primary on Friday, I will have my list in hand so that I don't forget to tell him any of the signs from the list that I feel apply to my situation. The straight forward layout of information was so helpful..