Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle.
What caused your ankle fracture?

I broke the end of the tibia and slightly up the fibula with my foot turned the wrong angle when I fell back on it from about 1 foot high. This was a task I've done thousands of time before with no problems..

My kids are in middle school and high school now. I still kept their favorite board games and books at a corner of our family room. Last night I was reading an online book on a sofa and my youngest child asked me to move over and sit next to her in case she needed help on her math homework. I walked with laptop, a big one with its power cord, and accidentally stepped on to an uncovered Battleship board game box and then the box slipped. My left ankle was rotated over 90 degrees, I think. And I saw the swelling in seconds. The emergency room doctor told me I had fractures on all three bones. She helped me align them and I am waiting to see the specialist tomorrow. I regret that I did not pay more attention when I walked with both my hands full and miss the days that I could move freely..