Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle.
What caused your ankle fracture?

On February 6th I wiped out on ice while walking my dogs. My right ankle was turned in an awkward position and I heard the loud pop and from that sound I just knew I had a broken bone. As well, the pain and look of my ankle was like nothing I have ever known before. Upon presentation to emergency I was informed that I had a right distal fibula Weber B fracture with a talar shift. I needed surgery, and a metal plate was inserted. I now have to be in a cast, hop around on crutches, and no weight bearing for at least 8 weeks. The inconvenience is bad, but I know clearly that this accident could have been worse if I had hit my head. Also, I have a wonderful family and friends who are just rallying around me. And, I use a lot of my time now to read all the books I have been waiting to find to read. As well, I have plenty of quiet time for contemplation and introspection. I have learned to look for the positive aspects of every bad experience!.

I was golfing and walking back to the cart, and stepped wrong on a tree root. My left foot curved over it and next thing I knew I heard a pop and was down in the mud. I broke my lateral malleolus in a clean horizontal break. This was December 26. I have another week to go before my next evaluation on January 20. My leg hasn't touched the floor since and my muscle tone is already gone. I scoot around the house on an office chair, and on crutches and a knee walker when out, but out doesn't happen often. I can drive but getting the crutches and scooter are difficult on my own. I broke my collar bone last year too and developed arthritis in it after it healed. I'm scared this will happen to my ankle causing pain and no more heels! Good luck to everyone who is dealing with a similar issue..