Ankle Fracture - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Ankle.
What caused your ankle fracture?

My husband and I took a trip down to Panama, and, while stepping into a large wooden dugout canoe, I slipped and fell hard. It happened so fast that I'm not really sure what way my right foot went, but I do know that it was the wrong way. I heard the pop, and was concerned about my knee, as I had recently had a right knee replacement. Oddly, I had no ankle pain at all, it was totally numb. As soon as I tried to get up, I realized that my foot was flopping around like it wasn't attached. I reached down and forced my ankle bone to go back in place (still no pain) and then instructed the people who were with us how to make a splint out of the Mae West life jacket I had been wearing. This worked very well to keep my ankle stabilized for the 2 hour drive back to civilization. Thirty hours later I was in the emergency room in my home town. All this occurred on 2/12/16. Today is 5/5/16, and I just got my walking cast off 2 days ago. I still have 4 weeks of physical therapy to go, and then it's all up to me to keep going. I know it's still going to be a while before I can walk normally again. What I can't believe is that through the whole ordeal, especially before I had surgery, there was no pain. My foot stayed numb during the ordeal of flying back to the states. I am thankful for that..

On February 6th I wiped out on ice while walking my dogs. My right ankle was turned in an awkward position and I heard the loud pop and from that sound I just knew I had a broken bone. As well, the pain and look of my ankle was like nothing I have ever known before. Upon presentation to emergency I was informed that I had a right distal fibula Weber B fracture with a talar shift. I needed surgery, and a metal plate was inserted. I now have to be in a cast, hop around on crutches, and no weight bearing for at least 8 weeks. The inconvenience is bad, but I know clearly that this accident could have been worse if I had hit my head. Also, I have a wonderful family and friends who are just rallying around me. And, I use a lot of my time now to read all the books I have been waiting to find to read. As well, I have plenty of quiet time for contemplation and introspection. I have learned to look for the positive aspects of every bad experience!.