Endometriosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis.
The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?

Published: March 29

I hope this helps all women out there with endometriosis. I was diagnosed with endo when I was 35 (I am now 44) after having had terrible period pains all my life (terrible cramps, leg pain, back pain, my life would be miserable for four or five days per month). Anyway, I had surgery, and they removed both cysts through laparoscopy (one was six by four centimeters, the other one by two centimeters) and only 15 months later I had to go in for surgery again. Only this time, surgery was a lot more invasive since the operation was like a C-section but without the baby. This time, they were able to remove another huge cyst but were able to save the affected ovary. Surgery was even more complicated this time around because apparently I had scarring in my intestine, liver and kidneys. After this, I started on a hormone treatment that lasted six months to avoid menstruation. Needless to say, I do not have children. After going through this, which was pretty traumatic both emotionally and physically, I started looking into alternative treatments. I found a Chinese doctor who completely changed my life. I was treated with electro-acupuncture for about a year (at first, three times a week, then twice a week for several months and then once a week), and Chinese medicine has kept me away from surgery all these years. I have no pain whatsoever when menstruating (whereas before the cramps were so bad I could barely walk) and my quality of life has increased in a way that I have never felt better. After my second surgery my doctor said that probably within a year I'd be back for a hysterectomy. Thankfully, I have been able to keep endometriosis away all this time. For whatever it is worth, the Chinese doctor recommends to keep away from ingesting anything cold ... always hot or room temperature (apparently cold is bad for blood flow) and also, stay away from tampons. I really hope this information helps because at the time, I thought there was absolutely nothing in the world that would help me and really Chinese medicine has kept me both sane and healthy..

I am a 26 yr old women who just had my left ovary and fallopian tube removed! When the doctor took it out she said it should have been done years ago she said she did not want to take the right one if we didn’t have to because I am so young. That was 3 weeks ago today and the pain on the right side it so bad that I know I have to call and go back. I always knew that I wanted to adopt but the realization that I may never be able to have children is terrifying to me. I suffer from depression and anxiety to begin with and I just don’t know how do process and deal with this..