Broken Elbow - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Elbow.
What was the cause of your broken elbow?

Published: April 05

I fell down four stairs onto the pavement during a terrible wind, rain storm. I fractured my left elbow severely. The emergency room physician told me that I would need surgery which was scheduled while I was there. A metal plate with screws was installed. The recovery was slow but steady with the help of pain medication. Upon seeing my surgeon for follow up, the x-ray showed that one of the screws has backed out. I have some stiffness which affects my range of motion. I wonder what happens now..

Published: March 28

I broke my elbow changing a light bulb standing on a weak chair; right dumb. I was in a cast for 6 weeks and in therapy for 8 weeks. I now do therapy at home. I have no pain except when doing the therapy so all is good. What is strange is that my fingernails on the hand of the injury turned brown. They are growing out fine, but I wonder what would cause this. I did have several x-rays of course. I just took a minimum of pain medication..