Broken Elbow - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Elbow.
What was the cause of your broken elbow?

I broke my elbow when my bike hit a pothole. It was wired back together and put in a plaster cast for 6 weeks. As I ride long distances on my road bike (e.g. 2,000 miles round Eastern Europe last year), I was keen to get back in the saddle! It took 8 weeks before I could get back on my bike again, but used a turbo trainer while I was in plaster. The arm is still a bit stiff and I cannot fully extend it yet, but I am building up the mileage and having regular physio in preparation for a very long and hilly ride through Italy in September..

I fell down a short flight of stairs and took a dive onto a tile floor breaking olecranon in three pieces. I have a plate and several screws. It has been 10 weeks since surgery and I am still experiencing stiffness and limited range of motion. I hope this improves. This is very painful..