Achilles Tendon Rupture - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Achilles Tendon Rupture.
What was the treatment for your Achilles tendon rupture?

I’m a 30 year old male and I ruptured my Achilles tendon 4 months ago playing a hurling match. I was also playing a lot of squash leading up to my injury. I think myself the mixture of both the field sport and court sport resulted in my injury. I had surgery within 3 days of the rupture and thankfully no cast was put in place just bandage. It's a long slow recovery but went for my first jog this evening. My advice to anyone who has had this injury is to insist on surgery rather than a cast and take your time recovering. .

Published: June 04

I ruptured my Achilles tendon 13 days ago in an over 50 age basketball league game. I am a 55-year-old teacher and used to be an avid runner. I have been playing for the past three years. I varied my warm up routine and believe that was the cause of my injury. Treatment was surgery five days after injury. I am in a splint now and will be re-evaluated in three days. My doctor said I will be able to start running again in three months, starting slowly of course..