Adhesions, General and After Surgery - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Adhesions (General and After Surgery).
What were the symptoms of your adhesions? Please describe your experience.

I was born with exstrophy of the bladder and associated anomalies (midline defect). The first five years of life was dealing with a primary closure process with extensive surgeries. From through 11 years of age an attempt was made to create normal physiology during which time it was observed that one ureter was longer than the other and surgery was performed to shorten it and connect to the 2nd one creating a 'Y' with only one going directly into the bladder. This and additional other tissue were set aside in the abdominal cavity for future re-creative development. It was that tissue that actually created additional internal problems as it created major adhesions to the small intestine causing digestive problems over the years. At the age 15 years, having developing major nephritis, the 15 years of constructive surgery was disconnected and an ileal conduit was created. At age 17 years I developed bacterial kidney stones which involved 81 days in the hospital going into each kidney twice and rebuilding ileal conduit. Result was having 5 surgeries in 4 1/2 months. From that point on kidney function declined, which resulted in a kidney transplant. From September to December 2000 I had both kidneys removed, one in October and one in November. Then I had dialysis for 10 weeks, and then transplant in December, ten hours on the operating table. Over all over 88 surgeries. Cumulative surgeries resulted in adhesions and chronic urinary infections and now chronic bowel blockage issues. I was hospitalized for 12 days in ICU for major blockage in large intestine. Hernias repaired throughout the years were totally seven. I had multi-surgeries from 2000 to 2008, totaling 8 surgeries. Additional degenerative conditions from reflex infections over the years with the onset of hypertension swelling, gout type arthritis, venous sinus thrombosis, sever migraine headaches, various drug reactions, continued to take their toll on the body and kidneys and other parts of the body severely limiting activity. When the adhesions are hurting I use heating pad, hot showers, stretching, massage, and eat small amounts at a time, vegetables, not meat. I walk everyday even if it is just 10 minutes and do meditation..

Last night I ate pulled chicken burrito. By 3 am I was in severe pain in my abdomen. I was able to go to the bathroom. In fact I had diarrhea a few times. I was able to sleep at 6 am and my pain lessened. It is 3:30 and I am bloated but no pain. Something must still be going on because my blood pressure is up. My history is, in 1989 I had hysterectomy; in 1999 I had my first bowel obstruction surgery. In 2012 had my second surgery for scar tissue adhesions strangling my intestines. At this time I am usually careful about what I eat. I cook vegetables, stay away from thick meat, and eat small meals. I will have a flair up about every 3 months like I did last night. If I get over it in 10 hours I stay home. The day I can't stop the pain I will be in the emergency room for help. I don't know what else to do..