Liver Transplant - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Transplant.
What was the cause of you needing a liver transplant?

I'm a 64-year-old male, and I had hepatitis C since early 70s, then cirrhosis, then liver cancer diagnosed in April 2014. I was only on waiting list for 40 days and got a new liver on 11/11/14. I'm now one year post-transplant and doing great. I'm the luckiest guy on earth. I have not been sick for one minute since surgery, energy returned gradually, and my itch went away, which to me was one of the main benefits. Anyway, I say hang in there to anyone who is in the mess I was in, and good luck..

I was diagnosed with Budd Chiari disease (I make too many red blood cells causing clots) after collapsing on holiday 10 years ago. I needed a liver transplant within 48 hours. Luckily for me one became available and I have cherished every day since..