Mastectomy - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mastectomy.
What was the cause of you needing a mastectomy?

Published: April 30

My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 38 and passed away at 51. My aunt is very close to the same. I was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ in September 2014. I chose mastectomy for both breasts with immediate reconstruction. My surgery was 4 hours. Two wonderful surgeons overlapped for 30 minutes during my surgery. I was in hospital for a day but I couldn't stand it so I bugged them till they let me go home. My drainage tubes were in for 25 days! I was so glad to get them out. Ladies beware they look like Frankenstein breasts at first until they fall into place and the skin gets used to being without what used to be underneath. Doesn't take long until they look great! There is loss of feeling but I'm finding that I'm gradually getting some of it back. My tumor was very small. Having had mastectomy, I do not need to have chemotherapy or radiation. I also do not have to take tamoxifen. So I'm clear! What I deal with now 6 months after surgery are some inconsistent pains in my sides where the drainage was; I have an incision in my right armpit where they looked into my lymph to ensure no cancer was present; I can't lift that arm as high now. The implants contribute to the limitation. There is quite an emotional journey to travel once diagnosed with breast cancer. That's the journey I am on now. Live life. I've had a reminder..

I had a double mastectomy do to cancer in my left breast. I did not want recon surgery done. I've heard too many bad stories on recon. It's been 4 months. I'm 68. I had gone for my yearly checkup and the mamo found something. The next thing I was having a double biopsy on my left breast. My husband was in NY at the time so I went through it all alone. I received a call from the nurse telling me I had stage 2 invasive breast cancer and gave me the names of two breast cancer surgeons to call. I was very blessed that I didn't have to have chemo or radiation do to the wonderful new Oncotype DX test which gave me a score of 13 out of 100 so I just have to take Tamoxifen for 5 years and see my Dr. every 3 months. I do still have pain around my chest like there are 10 ace bandaged on me. It beats going through Chemo and Radiation any day. I am so very blessed the Dr. got it all. God speed to anyone that is going through this nasty cancer..