Mastectomy - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mastectomy.
What was the cause of you needing a mastectomy?

Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) in September, 2015 two cancerous cells. Their placement, on upper region of breast, 3 centimeters apart led me to decide on mastectomy and reconstruction. Since not invasive, surgery was not deemed medically urgent. Waiting was difficult but I experienced zero post-surgery pain and needed no pain medication. Scary diagnosis for sure. Reconstruction is a work in progress, but my TRAM flap new breast is truly beautiful, even just 8 weeks post-surgery!.

Published: April 30

My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 38 and passed away at 51. My aunt is very close to the same. I was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ in September 2014. I chose mastectomy for both breasts with immediate reconstruction. My surgery was 4 hours. Two wonderful surgeons overlapped for 30 minutes during my surgery. I was in hospital for a day but I couldn't stand it so I bugged them till they let me go home. My drainage tubes were in for 25 days! I was so glad to get them out. Ladies beware they look like Frankenstein breasts at first until they fall into place and the skin gets used to being without what used to be underneath. Doesn't take long until they look great! There is loss of feeling but I'm finding that I'm gradually getting some of it back. My tumor was very small. Having had mastectomy, I do not need to have chemotherapy or radiation. I also do not have to take tamoxifen. So I'm clear! What I deal with now 6 months after surgery are some inconsistent pains in my sides where the drainage was; I have an incision in my right armpit where they looked into my lymph to ensure no cancer was present; I can't lift that arm as high now. The implants contribute to the limitation. There is quite an emotional journey to travel once diagnosed with breast cancer. That's the journey I am on now. Live life. I've had a reminder..