Lyme Disease - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lyme Disease.
How was the diagnosis of your lyme disease established?

My dermatologist kept treating my rash for many things: ringworm, dermatitis, etc. Finally, he asked me if I had ever been bitten by an insect there and my head started reeling. I had bitten by a tick 6 months before and I had not been feeling myself for some time. This tells me that the CDC description of the timing of the rash does not apply in all cases. I live in NC, getting doctors to take me seriously was very difficult. If it wasn't for the dermatologist, I would have never known and still would be terribly sick..

I am a public health inspector. If I might, I would like to add some information on the removal of ticks. With your tweezers, it's important to grab the mouth part of the tick while removing it. Pressing on the abdomen would result in discharging the bacteria (if present) into the body. Wash with water and soap. Then, you should bring the tick to your local health unit or hospital for testing. Thank you eMedicineHealth for your good work!.