Epiglottitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Epiglottitis.
What were the symptoms of your epiglottitis?

My onset of Epiglottitis, started with the feeling of a sore throat, which lead to difficulty swallowing, and a few hours later difficulty breathing and speaking. By the time my husband drove me to ER, I started drooling and choking. The ER Physician took an x-ray of the soft tissues of the neck and the film revealed epiglottitis. I am most Thankful for My husband prompt attention of taking me to the ER and the physician for properly diagnosing and treating my symptoms. The smallest things could lead to a serious or fatal incident. Seeking medical attention for small things such as a "sore throat" seems huge to me now, whereas before I would try and treat myself with OTC medication...Not Anymore!!!.

I had knee surgery and all was well. Within a matter of hours I told the nurses my throat and jaw were really sore. The next time I woke up was 10 days later in ICU where I died for a few minutes as they couldn't get the tube down to help me breathe. I was intubated and if that didn't work they were going to do an emergency tracheotomy. If I get a sore throat now I start to panic..