Smoke Inhalation - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Smoke Inhalation.
What was the cause of your smoke inhalation?

I was cooking Sunday roast and had put the Yorkshire pudding in. Normally I wouldn’t have the oven higher than 200 as it’s a fan assisted oven. Five minutes later I could see the pudding rising beautifully. I must have caught the temperature knob and it had gone onto full heat. When I opened the oven door the smoke that billowed out was unreal. My eyes where painfully streaming. As I am a COPD patient I was surprised that I wasn't coughing my lungs up. Instead I instantly got an ear ache with a violent headache. Thinking I’d take 2 painkillers and have a lie down, I fell asleep from 4 pm till 5 am the next morning. All that next day I felt in shock. I couldn’t even go to work..

Published: April 21

I saw woodland on fire so one of my friends called for the fire brigade whilst I and another friend ran to the house in the woods to make sure the home owner was all right. We saw the home owner running away from the house, but it was the reaction from a dog that suggested his owner was still in the house. My friend insisted on going in because by the time the fire brigade had gotten through the woodland, it would have been too late. I ended up going inside. I crawled and used my cardigan to cover my face but I was still choking on the smoke. I couldn't really see anything because the smoke irritated my eyes. I managed to get myself and the young lad out. He wasn't breathing initially, but he recovered after medical intervention. I came out of the house with a hoarse voice, sore eyes, a cough and tight chest. The cough and tight chest were pretty persistent, but the other symptoms wore off at hospital. I was young and very stupid when I did this. Everything worked out fine, but it could have ended disastrously. Never go into a dangerous situation like I did, always wait for a professional..