Removing Stitches - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Removing Stitches.
How was your experience having your stitches removed?

In 1991 I had to have a cervical discectomy of C5 to C7. During the surgery the chief resident said for some reason I somehow lost 3 liters of blood (1 pint less than your total blood volume). Prior to making the incision in my neck they removed the bone graft for the fusion. At that time they put my head in a halo to stabilize my neck for the time being. Ironically, they threw my graft away admitting they really were losing me and there was not much sense saving it. Well, thank goodness I did make it. They put me in ICU on Christmas Eve. I was 34 years old then. Last year at the left halo site all my skin fell off the hole and I pulled out a V shaped piece of stitching. This year again on the left side I get large eruptions that are full of thick, white matter. Below is a very tight stitch that is connected very tightly to both ends. My doctor has cut one of them but as of today I have cut 37 stitches all over the left side of my head. My question is why they would stitch in this manner and why it would take 25 years to erupt..

Published: June 26

I had an accidental cut on the tip of my finger that required 5 stitches. Let me just say whoever said the removal of them is painless must have not ever had them. I have a very high pain level tolerance and the numbing shots even take an unusually high amount to work for me. It took 8 shots just to numb the finger tip for her to initially clean, reattach, and close my wound. When they took them out it seemed like it had some numbness in it as I could barely feel the girl cleaning it. Boy, was I wrong! I was squirming around in pain every time she clipped one. They said it was because there are so many nerves in the affected area. But I imagine it would be just as painful anywhere else. I will say though that as soon as it was done I had a lot less pain than I did before she even started to remove them..