Removing Stitches - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Removing Stitches.
How was your experience having your stitches removed?

Published: June 26

I had an accidental cut on the tip of my finger that required 5 stitches. Let me just say whoever said the removal of them is painless must have not ever had them. I have a very high pain level tolerance and the numbing shots even take an unusually high amount to work for me. It took 8 shots just to numb the finger tip for her to initially clean, reattach, and close my wound. When they took them out it seemed like it had some numbness in it as I could barely feel the girl cleaning it. Boy, was I wrong! I was squirming around in pain every time she clipped one. They said it was because there are so many nerves in the affected area. But I imagine it would be just as painful anywhere else. I will say though that as soon as it was done I had a lot less pain than I did before she even started to remove them..

I went to have stitches removed from upper and lower eye lid surgery. The nurse got 2 taken on one eye and as I found it unbearably painful she went to the other eye and removed one. I felt myself getting hotter and hotter and thought that I was going to faint. I had to walk out as I could not tolerate it and feeling very weak and faint with about 40 more stitches in total to take out. I don't know what to do I am so nervous..