Removing Stitches - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Removing Stitches.
How was your experience having your stitches removed?

Published: March 26

I too had the super extreme level of pain reported by the other writers in this thread. After hand surgery, all stitches but one were removed with not much pain. The last one was at a level of pain that was so horrific that I could not tolerate the stitch even being touched. What bothers me most is that everyone behaves as if this is unheard of. But there must be an explanation, and surely there must be a way of dealing with the problem. Even on this page, nobody has spoken up to explain what is happening and what to do about it..

I had carpal and cubital tunnel surgery. I did not have pain from the surgery until they took the stitches out. I have never had that kind of pain. There was no numbing agent used. If you have to have stitches taken out, I would suggest either: 1. Ask for a sedative or 2. Ask for the area to be numbed..