Foley Catheter - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Foley Catheter.
What procedure did you have that required a Foley catheter?

Published: March 15

In late January 2016 I experienced acute urinary retention due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. I have had a Foley catheter now for about 6 weeks. I was also put on Flomax and finasteride. I will see my urologist in mid-March to see if the medicines have had some effect. If not it will be time, I hope, to plan for a TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) procedure..

I had a hysterectomy, at which time my bladder was cut and the surgeon did not catch it. Now I am awaiting surgery to repair and have been wearing diapers that only hold for a maximum hour and a half. At my last visit I requested a Foley catheter as a means of less leakage until surgery. My decision was based on the lack of sleep I was getting, if I sleep more than 2 hours the diaper leaks and then I and my bedding are drenched, and once you have to get up and switch out sheets and bed liners you are fully awake and have a hard time going back to sleep! I now wake up automatically after 2 hours, and I am exhausted! I discussed it with the urologist and although in my case there is still leakage until surgery, I got 4 hours sleep! It is not something I want to live with permanently but am glad to have some relief..