Foley Catheter - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Foley Catheter.
What procedure did you have that required a Foley catheter?

I had TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) done. When I came to, everything seemed alright. Two hours later as the anesthesia wore off and I could feel my lower body, I noticed a soreness in my groin. I thought it was just from the carving out of my prostate, but told the nurses. It kept getting more intense, and the nurses told me they had called the doctor. Three hours out of surgery, I was dying. The nurse used ultrasound and said I had retained 800 ml. I usually have to urinate at 100 ml. I was screaming at the nurses when the doctor arrived. He tried to reinsert the Foley catheter 3 times before taking me back into the operating theatre. It's been a week now and tomorrow I'm going back to have it removed. I used to hope that I could get erect after surgery. Now I hope that I can hold my water. I wonder if there was anything I could have done to prevent BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). I first noticed this problem when I was 45!.

Published: April 14

I underwent a bilateral mastectomy. After surgery I went into post-operative urinary retention. I was painfully and forcefully straight catheterized a few times and continued to experience urinary retention. In the hospital they roughly and forcefully inserted a Foley catheter causing abrasions in my urethra and my urethra swelled shut. They Foley catheter was inserted in me 3 or 4 times in the hospital. The pain from insertion and having it in me was incredible. I couldn't even move without intense constant pain. I also experienced constant painful bladder spasms and lots of leakage. I was forced to live with the Foley, pain, spasms and leaks for three and one half months. It destroyed my life..