Foley Catheter - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Foley Catheter.
What procedure did you have that required a Foley catheter?

I had a double hernia operation on a Monday and was discharged after I urinated about a thimble full of urine. When I came home I had terrible pain and called the nurse the following day. From Tuesday until Saturday I held urine and it caused me to hold 4 liters of urine. That is about two 32 oz bottles; wow, was I in pain! Then I went to the emergency room because I could not take the pain any longer which I thought was from the operation. When the Foley catheter was inserted they had to remove the liquid in stages fearing spasm of the bladder. I remained in the hospital due to high levels of kidney failure; numbers around 5.3. It went down after three days in the hospital. Now I am at home still with the catheter and hoping that drugs will shrink the prostate so I can have the catheter removed to resume normal urinating. Hope this helps you if you have a similar situation..

Published: March 15

In late January 2016 I experienced acute urinary retention due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. I have had a Foley catheter now for about 6 weeks. I was also put on Flomax and finasteride. I will see my urologist in mid-March to see if the medicines have had some effect. If not it will be time, I hope, to plan for a TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate) procedure..