Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bone Marrow Biopsy.
Why did you have a bone marrow biopsy performed?

My daughter has had leukemia, and as part of a trial she will have her 17th aspiration tomorrow. She has Entonox gas during the bone marrow biopsy procedure with makes her very silly but does help with the pain..

I was diagnosed with low white cell count, neutropenia, after having many full blood count tests. I saw a consultant who said I need to have bone marrow biopsy, I read every forum and tried to find out as much as I could. I was terrified, I asked the consultant if I could be sedated and his reply was, we will try without. Most of what I read, people said they had sedation. The day arrived when I had to have the biopsy, and I was so terrified I was going to walk out. The area, was cleaned I was given local anesthetic to numb the area. The specialist nurse inserted the needle and before I knew it, she said that the fluid had been removed, I was surprised as I didn't feel a thing, and I knew that the next bit might feel painful, as she went for the sample of bone marrow. However I was surprised again, the nurse said I may feel a little pain, like sciatica, and I can honestly say, I did but very slight, nothing as I had expected. The area was dressed with a dressing and then I was told to lie on my back for about 10 or 15 minutes, the nurse then returned and checked again for any bleeding, and all was well. I went home. I thought it may be painful after the anesthetic wore off, but it was fine. So I would say to anyone, try not to worry, it was nothing to what other people seemed to be saying about the test on the forums..