Bone Marrow Biopsy - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bone Marrow Biopsy.
Why did you have a bone marrow biopsy performed?

I was diagnosed with low white cell count, neutropenia, after having many full blood count tests. I saw a consultant who said I need to have bone marrow biopsy, I read every forum and tried to find out as much as I could. I was terrified, I asked the consultant if I could be sedated and his reply was, we will try without. Most of what I read, people said they had sedation. The day arrived when I had to have the biopsy, and I was so terrified I was going to walk out. The area, was cleaned I was given local anesthetic to numb the area. The specialist nurse inserted the needle and before I knew it, she said that the fluid had been removed, I was surprised as I didn't feel a thing, and I knew that the next bit might feel painful, as she went for the sample of bone marrow. However I was surprised again, the nurse said I may feel a little pain, like sciatica, and I can honestly say, I did but very slight, nothing as I had expected. The area was dressed with a dressing and then I was told to lie on my back for about 10 or 15 minutes, the nurse then returned and checked again for any bleeding, and all was well. I went home. I thought it may be painful after the anesthetic wore off, but it was fine. So I would say to anyone, try not to worry, it was nothing to what other people seemed to be saying about the test on the forums..

Published: April 08

I had three bone marrow biopsies and aspirations done to confirm a diagnosis of leukemia, see how the first treatment went, and then to confirm remission. They refused to use anything other than local anesthetic the first time, and it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. The second time they gave me Ativan to keep me calm, but it didn't help at all. The third time they gave both Ativan and morphine, neither of which helped much at all. The morphine did take away the soreness I usually feel after the procedure however, which was a slight perk. I suggest requesting total anesthesia for this procedure, as it is very painful, in my experience, and it is not something you want to be awake for or have memories of..