Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems.
Please describe your experience with thyroid disease.

I was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid goiter. They said it was Graves disease when I was 15 years old. They removed half my thyroid. I didn't notice the mental and emotional changes getting the goiter (after all I was a teenager), but I certainly did when they removed it. Fourteen years later, I started noticing mental and physical changes again, and even though I kept telling my doctor, he didn't figure out the problem. I did when I started looking up causes for my eye symptoms. Instead of being an extrovert, high energy person, I had become a paranoid, introvert that didn't have any energy and was gaining weight even though I was exercising more. When they checked my thyroid hormone level, they said it was very low and prescribed thyroid hormone. The medical community doesn't seem to want to acknowledge the effects the thyroid has on a person's mental/emotional condition. It doesn't just affect you physically. In the same way that PMS causes personality changes, so does the thyroid hormone..

I'm 34, and I have had hyperthyroidism, Graves disease, and now, I have hypothyroidism. I've been going through this for more than 10 years. Please, if you have thyroid problems, see an endocrinologist at least every six months. If you have Graves' eye disease, you should be seeing a neuro-opthalmologist. If I had known this earlier on in my diagnosis, it would have saved me a lot of trouble in my life. Take your meds every day and make sure you're taking them properly, for example levothyroxine doesn't work with food or antacids/calcium. I hope this helps someone..