Thyroid Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Problems.
Please describe your experience with thyroid disease.

I gained 10 pounds in one month, my hair became very dry, and my nails became brittle to the point that I could peel them apart. I went to my doctor and told him those symptoms and how tired I was all the time. I asked him to test my thyroid to see if it could be the cause of all my symptoms. He laughed and told me that he didn't believe it was because I only weighed 125 pounds. The test came back and it wasn't good, I had hypothyroidism. After adjusting my medicine for two years, I feel so much better. I take my medicine daily and have blood tests every six months. I have lost 17 pounds of the weight that I had gained by cutting down on what I eat and exercise. Good Luck Everyone..

I was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid goiter. They said it was Graves disease when I was 15 years old. They removed half my thyroid. I didn't notice the mental and emotional changes getting the goiter (after all I was a teenager), but I certainly did when they removed it. Fourteen years later, I started noticing mental and physical changes again, and even though I kept telling my doctor, he didn't figure out the problem. I did when I started looking up causes for my eye symptoms. Instead of being an extrovert, high energy person, I had become a paranoid, introvert that didn't have any energy and was gaining weight even though I was exercising more. When they checked my thyroid hormone level, they said it was very low and prescribed thyroid hormone. The medical community doesn't seem to want to acknowledge the effects the thyroid has on a person's mental/emotional condition. It doesn't just affect you physically. In the same way that PMS causes personality changes, so does the thyroid hormone..