Periodic Limb Movement Disorder - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Periodic Limb Movement Disorder.
How was your periodic limb movement disorder diagnosed?

I believe my husband has PLMD. It does not affect his sleep at all. He sleeps right through the movement but it keeps me awake. Some nights it will not last all nights and some nights it will. Because it does not affect his sleep at all, is it something he should let his doctor know it is going on, or is it ok to just ignore it..

My 12 year-old daughter has always tried to sleep all day and moves constantly at night. She had a sleep study done a week ago and they said she moves 24 times every hour. It also said she has central sleep apnea. .