Torticollis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Torticollis.
What treatment did you receive for your torticollis?

I have had torticollis for the past 10 years. I have tried every treatment from acupuncture, chiropractic, Chinese herbal medicine, and massage but nothing has worked. I am on Botox injections every three months which do help to a certain extent. Sometimes the pain is unbearable. I take Paxam and an antidepressant. Sometimes I feel like I cannot keep going with this pain. Lately I have seen an exercise physiologist which has really helped. I noticed that if I keep moving it does help, and also lying down helps. I get very stressed when I have to go out and my neck muscles tighten up. I am trying meditation, but I wonder how much longer I can keep going like this. Everything makes me so tired..

My torticollis started at age 48 to 49, and I have been receiving Botox/Xeomin, now for over 8 years along with diazepam. I was started on baclofen and titrated up to a very high level by a neurologist, and after I finally made him understand it was making it worse, he started weaning me off of it, a long process! I also went through a bout of osteomyelitis and endocarditis, and hospitalized for 2 1/2 weeks. After that was over with, my primary care physician (PCP) prescribed Lortab and I managed with those for 4 or 5 years, until they stopped prescribing them. All this time, I kept receiving the injections. I would get some relief, depending on my activity, which makes the situation or battle much worse, I'm sure you know what I am referring to. I switched PCPs, simply because he told me in my 1st meeting with him, he would not write Lortab, nor would he write Ambien, which I have been taking now for several years. My new PCP wrote me the replacement for Lortab, which did no good at all. I finally got in to a pain doctor. This guy had me on so many drugs, I haven't felt this bad since before and during my torticollis, he was giving me several different opioids and I could get no relief. I have switched pain doctors and this guy has had me on 45 mg ER morphine and 1200 mcg fentanyl daily. I had great pain relief in the beginning. It depends on a daily basis when I go see him, I might get chided like a small child or treated like a drug addict, sometimes I am not even seen by the doctor. Since I have been on SSI, I am now being made to go on Medicare, which my pain doctor will not take. I am now, as I painfully type this, tapering off of this very powerful drug dependency, and I hope I will get through it and I will be able to still function as I have. Maybe I can better direct the neurologist with the Xeomin injections. I am hoping I might feel better overall, just getting off of those drugs. I know I will still have a very painful neck, but I have to get away from these pain people!.