Torticollis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Torticollis.
What treatment did you receive for your torticollis?

Published: June 22

My torticollis journey started about 6 years ago. I didn't know what was going on with my neck. All I knew was that it wanted to turn and it was difficult to keep it straight. Well, this was also the beginning to an issue with anxiety. I was so anxious at work that this was happening, I left work and went straight to urgent care. I was given a prescription for Ativan. So now I am dealing with anxiety and neck pain. It took a little over a year to get correctly diagnosed but in that time I was given different pain/anxiety medications. I was also now dealing with depression as my activity level greatly decreased and I gained about 40 lb and basically just tried to get through my work day so I could go home to rest. I was correctly diagnosed when I was sent to the pain specialist to get a cortisone shot. I think it might have been maybe 10 minutes into the doctor visit and he said I don't need cortisone, I need Botox, and I finally had an answer. It was bittersweet but I was happy to finally get some relief from the pain. I started Botox injections and went every 3 months with relief until I couldn't afford it anymore. It has been about 1 1/2 years since my last injection. I'm feeling like I may need to go see the pain doctor soon as my neck is starting to feel tight and I've had some headaches. I can relate to a lot of you out there that are suffering from torticollis..

Published: June 13

I have had a tilt in my head for a few years, but it wasn't painful until about 2 years ago. I was in so much pain, I thought it was a brain tumor and the only way to make it through the workday was to close the office door and lay flat on the floor. Between my original general physician (GP) and the pain management place he sent me, I had an epidural, trigger point injections and a series of pain medications that made me sleepy, unable to focus and I just didn't feel like myself. Four months in I got a torticollis prescription, started having Botox injections and eventually found a physical therapist who had experience with torticollis and a GP who listened. After a year of struggling through the medications and the search for help, I've retired from 25 years in a stressful job. The Botox, Cymbalta and meloxicam are handling the pain, and about a year of physical therapy has given me enough flexibility to turn my head far enough to see over both shoulders. I still have difficulty walking long distances because the tilt on my head hurts my back, but life is manageable again. I never experienced real pain before torticollis..