Spina Bifida - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Spina Bifida.
How was your child's spina bifida diagnosed?

Published: April 21

My daughter was born in Ontario Canada in 1975.she could not move from the neck down. She has a hole in the middle of her back and a large head with a shunt in it always blocking, club feet. I was 15 when she was born and I can remember the little pills the doctor gave me to take while pregnant. I didn’t take them too lazy and just a kid. I told no one I was pregnant until I was 7 months along, so I didn’t see a doctor the first 4 months. She died at 6 months old in Ottawa Ontario Canada. I hemorrhaged after the birth and could never have any more children. It was a sad life for all of us at that time. I did bring her home for 6 months before she died..

Published: June 05

We found out our son had spina bifida by ultrasound one week before he was born. We were given worst case scenarios. He was going to be severely disabled; have low cognitive function; he might not even live through the birth. My son was born at 37 weeks by C-section and was immediately transferred to the nearby Children's Hospital where he underwent surgery to repair his myelomeningocele at one day old. We made it to 18 months before he needed the shunt placement surgery. Let me tell you my boy is a holy terror now! He walks with the help of leg braces and gets into everything! I am pretty sure he is smarter than I am. He has and continues to surpass every one of his doctors expectations. There have been trials and tribulations with the spina bifida. He has had four surgeries and he is only three years old, but he bounces back every time. Don't let the doctors tell you what your child won't be able to do! wait for your child to show you what they can do!.