Birth Control Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Birth Control Intrauterine Devices (IUDS).
Why did you choose an intrauterine device (IUD) as your form of birth control?

30 years ago when I became a sexually active young adult I went to a local doctor in our central Florida town and asked him for a prescription for The Pill. He told me he was going to give me something even better--an IUD! He put it in and soon I was bleeding uncontrollably and throwing up, couldn't eat or drink anything or tell my mother what I had done because she would have kicked me out of the house. My mother the RN wheeled in an IV one day and hooked me up to it for awhile but after a couple of days gave up and took me to the ER. I was admitted to the hospital, shot up with Demerol which made me even sicker than I was before and still in SO much writhing pain. 25 years later I found out my best friend, now an MD, had the IUD inserted and bled 2 weeks a month before she finally had that thing yanked out. My hospital experience is probably why I still hate the taste of Gatorade; it's all they would give me for the nausea caused by the Demerol.

I am a mother of 10 months old and opted for the copper-IUD after the 3 months of baby birth as this method frees me from all the worries about the pregnancy but the experience has not been so good as expected. The insertion of the device itself was a horrible experience as I felt cramps, dizziness and nausea during and after the insertion. I came home with the help of my mother in law. My sister in law is happy with her devices as she has used it thrice and has three children and she really feels happy about it but I am still not very satisfied as my period is different now. I feel pain almost 10 days in advance before the bleeding for 4-5 days and then slight bleeding starts before full bleeding though I do not feel pain during bleeding period as it used to be before pregnancy. I told this problem to my doctor (though I got the device fixed by some other doctor at my in law's place) but she did not put her ear on my problem, maybe she was unhappy that I got it fixed by some other doctor I do not have idea what to do as I thought maybe this is normal but after reading this article I have information now that how it works and what are the pros and cons of the device. Thank you..