Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypothyroidism.
For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

With my hypothyroidism, I pretty much experienced the fatigue, lack of appetite, weight gain, and some confusion at times. I kept asking my doctor to check my thyroid hormones, since there is a family history. Unfortunately, if you come back in the normal range, which is quite large, they tell you you’re normal. I found out I was coming back in the very low normal range, and I evidently was more toward the high normal range when I was feeling great. I was lucky and found an internist who was willing to listen and go back to previous tests to see that I was in fact having a problem. Now taking Armour Thyroid, and feel great! Moral of the story, if you feel like it's not right, it probably isn't. Find a doctor who will listen!.

I have experienced many symptoms for a number of years. In fact, I was treated for depression instead of hypothyroidism for several years. At times, I thought I was "losing my mind" it was so severe. My symptoms included: confusion, inability to think clearly, total lack of energy, exhaustion, loss of interest in "everything," aches and pains (mainly in my legs/ankles/feet), and gained 35 pounds despite a lack of appetite. This has been a long struggle for me with problems at home and work (to be expected when I cannot think clearly). However, things are improving now -- there is hope!.