Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer.
Please describe your experience with skin cancer.

I was diagnosed with squamous cell skin cancer yesterday. Five weeks ago, I spent a week in Florida. Only two of those days were warm enough to wear short sleeves. While I was there, I noticed a spot on my arm that got red and irritated looking. After I got home, I called the dermatologist and saw him three weeks later. By then the area got bigger and part of the top formed a scab, which fell off and created a hole that bled. The dermatologist called me yesterday and said it was a small squamous cell skin cancer, and since it was removed, this is probably the only treatment. I have another appointment in two and a half months for a follow-up. I had a melanoma on my thigh six years ago. I had a wide excision and follow-up with blood work and chest X-rays for five years. I am very fair (100% Irish) and got a lot of sunburns when I was a kid. I would just like to encourage people to not ignore anything on their skin because the sooner it is removed, the better the outcome. And I am still shocked at how quickly this came on and that it is cancer. It is scary to hear the word cancer in your diagnosis, and it does help to talk to other people who have gone through the same thing. I'm happy to report that I'm doing well and am encouraged that this new skin cancer was caught early..

I had a lump unlike a spot on my wrist in 2008 after being assured by my doctor that it was nothing to worry about it was up to me if I wanted it removed, of which I chose to have it removed the following week buy another doctor who asked if i wanted it removed for vanity reasons! Any way it was removed and after having the stitches taken out i went away on holiday only to return to a phone call from a plastic surgeon for me to attend an appointment that week, where i was told that it was malignant melanoma. Within 10 days I was in hospital to have a bigger margin removed and also a node removed that drained that part of my arm. so after a week i went back to the plastic surgeon to have stitches removed from my wrist and under arm where i was told cancer cells had been found in my node so within the month i was back in the hospital for all the nodes to be removed from under my arm, not an operation to be taken lightly. That was 3 years ago now I was on a drug trial after the operation but it didn’t agree with me so I was taken of it but I got checkups every 3 months for 3 years that also included a brain scan, a mammogram, a bladder scope, and also another lump being removed which was not cancerous, also I went into menopause at the age of 44. I’ve had bad days in those three years but they are getting fewer, but have had a painful hip for the last 4 months so I’m just waiting for an appointment to come in for a CT scan. I think I am very much a lucky one but there are days when I’m just waiting for it to come back. I’m sure there will come that I don’t think about it every day. .