Skin Cancer - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skin Cancer.
Please describe your experience with skin cancer.

Published: December 31

I noticed a little skin colored nodule on my calf and didn't think anything of it. Within 3 months, it grew to a quarter of an inch and looked like a weird wart. I went to my dermatologist to have it removed. She immediately recognized it as a squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). It was removed by excision. Lab confirmed it was free of any cancer cells. It was invasive, but had not grown deep. When I went for my 6 month check, there was a basal cell carcinoma on the shin of my other calf. She froze it, and it healed with no problem. Next 6 month check should be in March, but went in December 21st with a spot on my left forearm that didn't look right to me. Biopsy confirmed it is squamous cell carcinoma. Two days after biopsy on arm was done, I noticed another place that came up on the same arm just a few inches from the SCC. I feel certain it is SCC. I will have confirmed SCC removed in January. I will do biopsy of newest spot on the same forearm at the same time. I just hope that finding these cancers early and having them removed will be all that is necessary..

I'm not actually a skin cancer patient, but I'm writing this about my girlfriend, because her case is so strange that I thought it would be interesting to tell people about it. She has basal cell carcinoma on her eyebrow and eyelid that started years ago from an eyebrow wound that must have healed wrong. For years we thought that the shiny hairless lump was just scar tissue, but it caused her pain and bled a lot. Recently she went in for surgery, where a hard cyst-like substance was removed from her eyebrow. Then the skin tests came back positive for cancer. So she got another surgery and they got out as much as they could, but there is still a lot left that they were unable to remove. She has been to several specialists and meetings but no one is sure yet how to proceed because radiation therapy could cause problems with her eye. If one of us had seen pictures of basal cell carcinoma years ago, we would have recognized it and some of this might have been prevented..