Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax).
Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Published: December 03

I recently had a spontaneous pneumothorax (three weeks ago). It happened when I was walking on the street. I had no battery to call an ambulance so I ended up walking for an hour and half. When I got home I called the emergency and I was rushed to the hospital. They told me I had a collapsed lung (the smallest lung they ever saw as they told me). I spent one week with two drains stuck to my lung. My lung did not go back to normal so they decided to operate (VATS), and another week of the worst pain I ever experienced. I am back home now and I keep getting stabbing pain. I really hope I am not getting another pneumothorax again. I wish all of you reading this post the best and a fast recovery!.

Published: December 03

I was experiencing back ache for two weeks prior to finding out I had pneumothorax. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was told I might have a kidney infection (wrong diagnosis). I went home and after another two weeks went by and I couldn’t stand the pain, I went back to a patient first clinic. There the doctor ordered x-ray and that was when they found out I had pneumothorax. I was rushed to the ER and admitted. A chest tube was placed and left on my right side lung for 3 days and that didn't drain anything from my lungs so I was then operated on, and they had to scrape out the infection on my right side lung. It's been two weeks and all I can think is if this will happen again. I am scared and afraid to even leave my house in fear of getting sick again. I don't wish this on my worst enemy..