Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax).
Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Published: March 22

I'm a 31 year old male, previously a smoker before my first pneumothorax. The first time my bottom right lung collapsed and I thought it was angina or heart attack. I was rushed to hospital and they stuck a syringe in and then re-inflated the collapsed part. The following day I was just finishing smoking and I could feel a pain when I breathed in and out and felt my lung capacity drop to 50 percent. I was rushed to hospital again and had a drain. After being on and off suction 3 times they operated and used talc to stick my lung to the wall. My lung is still only 93 percent inflated and I have been in hospital 4 weeks so far. (I am still here!) I'm on flutter bag for the 3rd time now and as long as my lung does not deflate even more in the next 48 hours at least I can go home. I have never known pain like this and would never wish it on anyone. It is actually really scary because most people have recovered in at least half the time I have been here so who knows how long this will last and what the end result will be. My last words; live your life and regret nothing. Spend as much time with your family as possible. One day it will be too late..

Published: December 03

I recently had a spontaneous pneumothorax (three weeks ago). It happened when I was walking on the street. I had no battery to call an ambulance so I ended up walking for an hour and half. When I got home I called the emergency and I was rushed to the hospital. They told me I had a collapsed lung (the smallest lung they ever saw as they told me). I spent one week with two drains stuck to my lung. My lung did not go back to normal so they decided to operate (VATS), and another week of the worst pain I ever experienced. I am back home now and I keep getting stabbing pain. I really hope I am not getting another pneumothorax again. I wish all of you reading this post the best and a fast recovery!.