Peritonsillar Abscess - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peritonsillar Abscess.
What were your symptoms of a peritonsillar abscess?

Published: March 29

About a month ago, I had a sore throat and was given some medicine by my parents. I got better and stopped taking them. That was a mistake because I didn't realize they were antibiotics. Because I finished taking them too early, I got a sore throat again except the second time was much worse. I had a low fever, excruciating pain when eating, drinking and swallowing saliva, my left tonsil was so swollen that it was pushing my uvula to the other side, my left ear was in pain, the left side of my tongue was swollen and in pain, I could not open my mouth very wide, and I eventually could not even speak because it was too painful. I visited one doctor who gave me antibiotics that did not work. I visited another doctor and he gave me a stronger dose of antibiotics. I was still getting worse. After another sleepless night, I decided I needed to go to the emergency room in the morning. But before I left, I tasted a foul liquid in my mouth. I rushed to the bathroom and spit out brown pus and blood for about ten minutes. I felt better immediately and checked my tonsils. My left tonsil was significantly smaller because the peritonsillar abscess had ruptured and let out everything that was making me sick. Afterwards, I thoroughly cleaned my mouth. The rupture occurred three nights ago, now I have a very mild sore throat and am experiencing no pain. I'm still taking my medicine and cleaning my mouth after every meal to prevent further infection..

I had chills followed by sore throat severe pain swallowing and ear pain, drooling, muffled voice, difficulty opening mouth, general malaise and discomfort. .