Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer.
How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

I never had any symptoms until one night I had a bad stomach ache. I went to the emergency room and had a CT and ultrasound done and found a 5 cm tumor in colon. I had a colonoscopy the next day and found out I had stage 3 colon cancer. Only 22 and I found out I had the same thing my mom died of. Now I am doing chemotherapy using oxaliplatin and Xeloda. I had the mass removed through surgery. I still have swollen lymph nodes that could be from surgery or live cancer cells. It has only been a month and a half since I found out..

Published: April 26

At age 53 I had blood in my stool and it was suggested I have a colonoscopy (my first). I had a large mass at the top where the rectum meets the colon. The biopsy confirmed cancer. I had a resection to have the cancer removed. I had an ileostomy for a bit over 3 months so I could heal and then it was reversed. The cancer was stage one and I had no chemotherapy or radiation. That was over 6.5 years ago..