Night Terrors - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors.
If you or someone you know has night terrors, what are the symptoms?

Published: March 29

My daughter has night terrors she will usually start by walking around the house looks like she is looking for something or lost. Then if you say anything to her it sets off the crying spell and something different will usually hurt but she is not really hurt. This last time she said her teeth felt like they fell out. Her eyes look like they are floating that’s how I usually know because she is not awake. She also will see stuff that is not there or jerk her head back and close her eyes as if something just almost hit her. It is a very frightening ordeal but if I just follow her around to make sure she doesn’t get hurt and slowly direct her back to her room it takes about 30 minutes to get her back to her room and asleep..

My son has suffered from night terrors for two years or so, he will be six in a few weeks. His symptoms are classic night terrors with the exception of associated vomiting. This is one more horrible thing to have to deal with as a parent, but I'm thankful he is otherwise healthy..