Night Terrors - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors.
If you or someone you know has night terrors, what are the symptoms?

My son started having night terrors in about 2nd grade, (shortly after school began). He would awake, get out of bed, start walking around, sometimes hitting the dresser, crying, looking scared to death, and walking nonstop around the room, saying 'oh my God, oh my God’ over and over. Talking out of his head, I wasn't able to understand most of what he said. He would always be sweating. I talked to his teacher and bus driver to see if there were any problems there (which there wasn't). We had never heard of night terrors, and after searching on Google, there was no doubt that was the problem. That was about 2 years ago, he's 9 years old now, and in the past 4 or 5 months they have really decreased a lot. He just had his 2nd one this week in a long time, but tomorrow is the 1st day back to school. I just hope he doesn't start having them often again..

Published: April 01

My son had night terrors. He is now 35 years old and he did outgrow them as the doctor said he would (approximately 13 years old). There was little knowledge back then about night terrors but I would put a cool wash cloth on his face to try to calm him and wake him up slowly. Also I would sprinkle popcorn on the bedroom floor so when he woke up in a panic the popcorn under his feet would wake him. As he got older he would only have them when his breathing was affected with a cold or when he had a fever. I hope this helps some little one because it is very frightening to them and their family..