Skier's Thumb - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Skier's Thumb.
What was the cause of your skier's thumb?

I was subduing a subject in close quarters while grabbing the subject’s shoulders and neck area to press him to the floor, and during the process I overextended my thumb and got skier’s thumb. There was not much pain afterwards unless I moved it downward a certain way. I went straight to the emergency room after the incident since it didn't feel right. X-Rays were taken and no broken bones. A fiberglass splint to be worn was made, with orders to follow up with a surgeon. A week passed until I was able to be seen, during that time I had some swelling and bruising. I used ice to keep the swelling down, but no severe pains just sometimes a dull ache. Never even filled the prescription for pain medications. Follow up yielded that it is a torn UCL and surgery is to follow as soon as the insurance approves..

Published: June 26

I got skier’s thumb through the use of a cordless drill wherein the screw I was tightening came to the end of its tightening and instead of torqueing the screw it applied the torque to my thumb (otherwise applied the torque force to my thumb instead of the screw) and thereby pulled/tore a ligament (or the like) and it has been pretty much a source of pain ever since..