Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis).
How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: December 22

Around 1999 I developed nose bleeds. I saw an ear, nose and throat specialist and he said I had a deviated septum from a nose break and needed an operation. Until then, I should keep my nose packed with Vaseline petroleum jelly. I did this but of course it would run, I'd blow my nose and it would occur again (while working a full time job). After 15 years I decided to try Vaseline to just dissolve the blood clots (with Q-tips) but not to pack my nose with it. The Vaseline had the added benefit of stopping another nose bleed (unlike blowing you nose to clear it). After a few months, I no longer had nose bleeds. It has now been a few years without nose bleeds (and no further Vaseline use). This is anecdotal and there may be now cause and effect between how I used Vaseline and my nose bleeds stopping. But it certainly seems to be the most likely cure of a 15 year nose bleed..

Published: December 02

Yikes, today I had a nosebleed that literally lasted 3.5 hours. While at my desk, I felt I had a runny nose and post nasal drip. I sucked it in and kept working. I remember finding it unusual that I had a runny nose. I am generally in great health, did not have a cold or any other symptoms. This just started suddenly. After sucking it up about 3 more times, I reached for a tissue when blood just started dripping on my desk. I blew my nose to clear my nostril and, oh boy! The tissue could not hold the huge blood clot the size of a golf ball. I immediately grabbed more issue and pinched my nose. I felt my nostril clogging up but did not want to blow again. I tilted my head slightly back and felt something roll down the back of my throat causing me to choke. I decided to let it take its course. Like a cat, I coughed up what was another golf ball sized blood clot. For someone who never had a nosebleed, this was surely no small introduction. No headache, no pain, not even lightheaded. Tissue after tissue, this was not normal. I stuffed tissues in my nose and kept my head straight while trying to stay level headed. Clots continued to form, and either clogged my nose to the point where I could not breathe, or slid down my throat. For the next 2 hours, this same pattern continued. Two boxes of tissues later, it stopped..