Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis).
How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: December 21

My story about a "first" nosebleed today is a bit crazy. I had just gone into Starbucks to get a coffee to go. I came out to the car with my coffee and one napkin. I decided to blow my nose with the napkin. Oh boy...that's when the flood started. My napkin was saturated in seconds and no other tissue in the car. Yikes...this was scary! I ran back into Starbucks trying to not be noticed that I was bleeding to death! I grabbed a handful of napkins. Back into the car I went and literally did not know what to do. I called my husband on my cell and he told me the wrong things to do, particularly to put my head back...yuck the blood started going into the back of my throat. I didn't know where to pinch it. Reading from all of you who have posted, now I know! The worst of this nose bleed was the huge clots that came out, and the fact that it lasted so long. I didn't time it but it seemed like forever. I had to start driving while it was going on so I could get home for my daughter’s school bus. At this point I was really starting to panic and almost went to the hospital (2 blocks away) but knew if I did I wouldn't get out in time to get home for the school bus. Soooo, I decided to keep driving towards home (15 minutes) away. At this point it must have been bleeding for at least a half hour or 45 minutes. Thank gosh, just before I pulled into the driveway it seemed to stop as suddenly as it started. I had just enough time to run inside and clean up all the blood and get out to the bus. Had my daughter seen all the blood she would have freaked out! When I threw away all the bloody Starbucks napkins I must say I was shocked at how much blood had come out. I never want to go through that again!.

I recently had to go to the emergency room twice within a 24-hour period for heavy nose bleeds. I had never had a nose bleed before. The first ER only put a little lubricate in my nose after the bleeding stopped on its own and sent me home. The next morning, my nose started bleeding heavy again. Blood was pouring from my nose and month with large clots. I was rushed to a different ER where my nose had to be packed. This caused blood to come out of my eyes for a while. The packing had my face aching all night. The next day, I saw an ENT doctor who had to cauterize some blood vessels and repack it. The packing has to remain in my nose for five days. Right now, I have a slight clear dripping from my nose, which the doctor says is normal for now. I am extremely frightened that this will happen again..