Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis).
How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: April 07

A year before getting my period I got nose bleeds that lasted anywhere from 45 minutes to hours (up to 3). The clots were large and usually about 12 inches long. The doctor told my parents that some girls get severe nose bleeds the year prior to the onset of their period. Lots of bath towels, pinch the upper nose, hold ice on it, sit up or lie on your side. I had large clots and heavy bleeding during periods that lasted 7 to 11 days most of my life. Then years later I began the nose bleeds again, 1 hour with large clots. I went to my doctor and asked if I might be starting menopause; she laughed. Well, 8 months later and having had my period for 57 days, they did a sonogram and found cysts along the walls of the vagina and the one that was in my uterus was the size of a 16 week fetus! Fast menopause, with surgery! In the interim with nose bleeds they would cauterize a couple of vessels. I did lose the septum in my nose. And, I find it is best to blow my nose during a nosebleeds when I feel the clots. Soon after the bleeding stops..

Published: April 07

I have had a nosebleed start when I had a surgery done for polyps and deviated septum in 2004. Since that operation my nose has had terrible nosebleeds. I've had another surgery by another doctor in 2011 that stopped it for a month and a half. It came back again and I was sent to a hospital and the doctor there have me a gel pack and clindamycin. I wound up with C. difficile which wrecked my stomach till this day. I had to retire from my job after 23 years, I have since seen 7 other doctors and still am having horrible nosebleeds. I'm so frightened, till this day even as I'm writing right now I'm having one. I don’t know why anyone can’t help me. One doctor told me I should just keep swallowing the blood and eventually it would stop and he was one of the best doctors..