Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis).
How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: April 19

I started having nose bleeding when I was 10 years old and continued till I was 21 years old. My father too does have nose bleeding. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes and there is no pain; my dad just asks me to hold back my head, and then it will stop. I started having nose bleeding again about two years ago. Any time I carry heavy load with my left hand it will bleed just for a moment and clog without pain..

I am 49 years of age and have experienced my 3rd nose bleed in one week. The first two happened in my sleep. The third occurred while driving to work, and I didn't have anything to wipe it with, which caused me to panic. After bleeding for 10 minutes I finally made it to work still bleeding which resulted in calling the ambulance and being rushed to the emergency room. After arriving at the emergency room, because I panicked, my blood pressure went up and the doctors couldn't get it down. Four hours later after losing 2 liters of blood, doctors and nurses were finally able to get my nose to stop bleeding. They inserted an object in my nose like a tampon which I had to keep in my nose for 24 hours. I am so glad they got it under control but I must say that was the scariest medical experience I've ever had and I don't wish it on anybody. And now I am resting and trying to rebuild my blood count up by eating beets and vegetables, taking iron pills, and drinking lots of fluids also. That experience resulted in my doctors giving me blood pressure pills..