Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis).
How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

I've had severe nosebleeds starting at age 55 and get them about every 4 to 5 years. They are nasty and difficult to stop. This most recent one started while sleeping. It got me up and I started to pinch to stop the flow. The blood would clot and I would swallow it or spit up huge globs of it. It got to the point while pinching it and holding my head forward that the blood would start oozing out my eyes, very scary. Finally I called an ambulance to the emergency room (ER) where they packed it with a balloon type device, sent me home and told me to get to an ENT doctor to remove the balloon. I could not stand this device stuck in my nose and the bleeding was still trickling out so I went back to ER and they cauterized the spot which worked. My next step is to see and ENT soon..

Published: April 19

I started having nose bleeding when I was 10 years old and continued till I was 21 years old. My father too does have nose bleeding. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes and there is no pain; my dad just asks me to hold back my head, and then it will stop. I started having nose bleeding again about two years ago. Any time I carry heavy load with my left hand it will bleed just for a moment and clog without pain..