Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy.
What was the recovery period for your lumbar laminectomy?

Eight years ago I was getting terrible pain in my left leg and spasms in my lower back. My doctor suggested physiotherapy and epidural injections, which I did. About 5 years ago the pain in my left buttock and thigh was so bad that I could not walk more than 10 minutes without excruciating pain in these areas. I tried epidural injections again and they lasted about 6 months. I talked to my back surgeon about relief from lumbar laminectomy surgery and he said I should receive at least 70 percent improvement from the pain. It has been one week since he operated on L 2 through the sacrum and I took my first walk outside about one mile without a cane or walker and I had 0 percent pain. I don`t know if this is still too soon to be optimistic yet, but it feels great to be pain-free!.

On April 23rd of this year 2015 I had a lumbar laminectomy, due to severe spinal stenosis. Bone was cut out of my spine before the lumber laminectomy. I am still in the healing process. I still have pain, but I am getting better as each day passes. My surgeon told me it would take 6 months to a year to heal. I have weakness in my legs. My insurance wouldn't pay for physical therapy..