Lumbar Laminectomy - Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Lumbar Laminectomy.
What was the recovery period for your lumbar laminectomy?

Published: April 06

I had a laminectomy in October. Exactly three months to the date, I felt great; I didn’t need any pain pills. Now, on the opposite side of my body from the waist down, I have a lot of pain, and I am limping. I have an X-ray appointment next week. Then I will know just what the heck is going on (I hope). Physical therapy didn't help; I would have to come home, take a pain pill, and go to bed. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. .

Published: April 30

I had two L4/L5 laminectomies within a year to remove a synovial cyst and bone spurs. After the first surgery, I was able to go home that same day and felt instant relief. After about three months, I was feeling awful. My neurosurgeon wasn't helping, as he just gave me refills on my meds. I decided to get a second opinion and got a new MRI. The previous neurosurgeon failed to remove all of the synovial cyst so it came back. I needed another lumbar laminectomy. The second surgery required me to stay overnight in hospital and it was very painful recovery. It has been 6 months. I have the same chronic pain. .