Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia.
For hernia, what were the symptoms you experienced?

I have had stomach issues for most of my life, attributed to IBS. This past April, I was diagnosed with pericardio effusion (fluid around the heart). I was treated with anti-inflamatories and was fine. When I was going into the hospital for a spinal cord stimulator for back pain (I also suffer from Fibromyalgia), I was told the swelling was back when a routine chest X-ray was done. A CT scan revealed a herniated gastric lumen. My gastro doctor followed up with an upper GI and then an endoscopy, and it was found that I had a diaphragmatic hernia, probably congenital. About 2/3 of my stomach had protruded through the hole and was rubbing against my heart, which was very likely the cause of the pericardio effusion. My back surgery was postponed, and I was scheduled for the following Monday for a hernia repair. They used the largest medical patch possible and 30 to 40 titanium staples that will remain inside permanently, several can be felt from the outside as they are against the inside of my rib cage. I was told there was very little space to work with as they could not "sew or attach" to the heart and had to kind of make it up as they went along. I was lucky they were able to do this laparoscopicly. I am now six weeks post-op and still feel as if I have been beaten by a pack of thugs! Since surgery I can't lift or move my right arm, a problem I never had to this severity. The pain, even though I am on a 100 mcg/hr fentanyl patch is at least an 8 at all times in my shoulder and I am having to take Vicodin for breakthrough pain in my abdomen about three to four times a day. I was told it was life threatening if I didn't have the hernia fixed. I feel worse than I was before and wonder if they have left me in worse condition and with a shorter life span as a result!.

5 years after having a tram flap reconstruction I developed a bad pain between my waist and the surgical incision. It was decided by the surgeon, that the mesh holding my abdominal wall together had failed, and I would require corrective surgery. After having this procedure I developed pancreatitis, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I then was told my gall bladder had to be removed, which it was 2 months later. I have had 2 surgeries in a very short time. I now have quite a distended abdomen, to the point of constant pain after being on my feet for about 2 hours in the morning. The pain hovers around the original site on my left side. My surgeon told me to get used to it. Needless to say, I am very concerned that this hernia has returned. .