Mallet Finger - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mallet Finger.
What was the cause of your mallet finger?

I was cleaning up cat barf on a light carpet and scrubbing with the sponge quite vigorously. As I pushed forward my middle finger (right hand unfortunately) was driven forward and under. Ouch! I immediately iced it thinking it was just out of joint. My husband wanted to push it back in; no! I waited over 3 weeks till the online nurse said to get to emergency room. Tendon was severed and it was splinted for over 3 months. Now it is in the Silver Ring Splint but it is no better. Now I am looking into having a permanent pin put in for the mallet finger. I would rather have it permanently straight than hanging down..

Published: April 27

I have had two mallet fingers. The first one was my middle finger on my right hand about 8 months ago. I was tucking a cover into the seat of a recliner when I hit my finger on one of the support bars of the chair. I heard a loud pop and experienced extreme pain. The tip of my middle finger was bent at a 90 degree angle and would not move. I did not seek medical attention for it. Instead I splinted it for about 6 weeks and it healed mostly. The finger is usable and just locks occasionally. My second mallet finger occurred about 2 or 3 months ago and was to my pinkie finger on my right hand. I was pushing clothes into a laundry bag that was next to the bed headboard. I pushed my pinkie directly into the bed post (wooden about 4x4 inches) and heard a loud pop and immediate pain. The tip of my pinkie was at about a 120 degree angle. The entire finger swelled and was extremely sore. I sought medical attention after a couple of days and learned that I had ruptured my ligament and fortunately did not show any fractures. I was given a splint that I wore for 6 weeks. This finger has not healed well and will probably require surgery to correct it. As of now this finger is only 50 percent usable..