Mallet Finger - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mallet Finger.
What was the cause of your mallet finger?

Published: June 07

I injured my little finger in January 2016 and was diagnosed with a mallet finger. My finger was immobilized in a Stax splint. Then after a few weeks the hand therapist gave me another splint. It is now June and my finger is still bent by 20 degrees and I am having problems typing. I wonder if I should have an operation to fix my finger..

I was cleaning up cat barf on a light carpet and scrubbing with the sponge quite vigorously. As I pushed forward my middle finger (right hand unfortunately) was driven forward and under. Ouch! I immediately iced it thinking it was just out of joint. My husband wanted to push it back in; no! I waited over 3 weeks till the online nurse said to get to emergency room. Tendon was severed and it was splinted for over 3 months. Now it is in the Silver Ring Splint but it is no better. Now I am looking into having a permanent pin put in for the mallet finger. I would rather have it permanently straight than hanging down..