Sinus Infection - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sinus Infection.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sinus infection?

I used to have sinus infections several times a year. No more. What helped me was simple, and fairly inexpensive. The first thing was a longer than normal course of antibiotics (ampicillin in my case). I took these for 20 days instead of the normal ten. Why? Because evidently in ten days the infection would still be lurking, although symptoms were no longer present. Then a month later it would have gotten to the point of looking like another infection. I believe I was just having one long infection that was never completely cured. My doctor agreed with me and allowed me the longer Rx. The second thing was to do saline rinses of my sinuses. Yeah, they are kind of gross, but wow, worth it. I did the one with the water pik and the special tip (grossan sinus irrigator tip). I made a solution of a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking soda, in warm water. If you want the exact formula, you will have to google it. You can also get more complete instructions if you need them. While still infected, I did this rinse morning and evening. Once the infection subsided, I did this daily for a while. Eventually, I was able to leave it off. Now, I begin to use it immediately and daily upon the smallest signs of a cold, to keep it from developing into a sinus infection. There is a less expensive version of this treatment that I use when my water pik isn't available, like when I'm traveling. You can use one of those little suction bulbs that are used to clean babies noses. Just fill the bulb with the saline solution and squirt it in each nostril. Works pretty much the same as the water pik, except you don't have the pulsing action. A sinus infection is extremely rare for me now that I do this. I think I've had one or two in the last ten years, while I used to have them 4-6 times a year..

I found some stuff that kills fungus and bacteria that you really ought to try. You just spray it in your nose and WOW, it got rid of my nasty sinus infection in about a week. I had tried antibiotics that were specifically prescribed for my sinusitis and I also tried a neti pot (yuk) but just couldn¡¦t get this sinus infection to quit. So I did a search and found this stuff (Sinus Relief) from Nature¡¦s Rite. The only problem is that you have to spray it every 30 minutes. I thought, hey, what the heck, it¡¦s worth a try and every 30 minutes isn¡¦t too bad. I was really surprised how well it worked so I bought their sinus support too. It¡¦s been a good moisturizer with calendula and aloe. It¡¦s herbal ya know. I like herbal stuff. So anyway, you should try this for your sinusitis. It won¡¦t make you have a yeast infection afterward like some antibiotics do. .