Sickle Cell Disease - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sickle Cell Disease.
What was the treatment for your sickle cell disease (sickle cell anemia)?

Published: December 03

I am 57 years old and I am blessed and I know this. I was diagnosed when I was five or six years old. Back then, the disease was new to the doctors. We moved to Louisville and at first they said I had the trait. After I start having children, doctors said I had the disease. In 1995, I was diagnosed with Beta Thalassemia Minor. I was told that is the reason I don't have as many crises as some others. Today, I am in so much pain and I know it is a crisis. I have called my doctor, but he has not called back. Most ERs in this city think you are wanting drugs like an addict if you are an adult and complaining of severe pain. Now if you are a child, they are Johnny-on-the-spot with the pain medication. This pain makes me angry because I need pain medication and the doctors can treat you badly until they get the results from your test back. Still I know I am lucky to be alive. I just hate the pain..

I am a 45 year old woman and I have sickle cell. It is so hard to put in words how sickle cell affects my life. The pain sometimes can be unbearable and doctors just don't understand. I feel that people don't take sickle cell as seriously as any other disease. Don't get me wrong I have the best doctor in Indianapolis, but I feel as though doctors and nurses don't know level of our pain. I have lived as a normal life as anyone with sickle cell disease can. And I hope to live much longer..