Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome.
What were the symptoms of your TMJ syndrome?

Three months ago I started having neck pain then ringing in my ears. I went to my doctor, he told me I had sinusitis, and he gave me amoxicillin and decongestant that didn't work. So I went to an ENT and found there was no hearing problem. ENT told me I have TMJ/TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder) so I went to emergency. They took a CAT scan and nothing was wrong. Then I went to a neurologist and he ordered an MRI which was normal. After that I saw three more doctors and all told me to see my dentist. I went back to the dentist and he sent me to a TMJ specialist who said I have TMJ, so I just got a night guard. He also told me my tinnitus was from the TMJ and gave me 600 ibuprofen for 7 days..

I've had TMJ since I was 12 years old. I'm 34 now, so it's been a 22-year-old problem for me. I'm fortunate that mine doesn't cause a huge amount of daily problems. I've had one bad experience in which it locked and when I forced it open it popped something awful. It caused me a lot of ear pain. So much that I actually thought I had an ear ache and went to the doctor to make certain. I know to not force it open now. I think it was a panic moment at that time. I have noticed that it's slowly getting worse as I get older. It's difficult to be out in the cold. It aches worse and I have trouble talking. The dentist visits are getting very hard. I end up w/ a headache and a jaw ache afterwards. I think I was fortunate to have a good orthodontist when it first started who tried to fix it. He managed to minimize the popping sound which could be heard all the way across a large room and corrected my overbite, but it never fully rid of the TMJ. Now it pops, but only I hear it which I'm thankful for as it would be embarrassing now. I have been told surgery is really a last resort and my pain and problems right now do not warrant for it and I hope never do..