Pinkeye - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pinkeye.
How long did the symptoms of your pink eye last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

I'm currently suffering from my fifth case of pink eye in 12 months. I am 28 and never had pink eye as a child. I am an avid hand washer and am not around children frequently. I can manage to stay away from colds, viruses, flus and the like at work, but pink eye keeps plaguing me. I initially picked up my first case at work about three or four years ago, but this past year has been horrendous. I am not in contact with many people directly at work (about 10 a day) but work in a rather large complex with many more employees. Usually, my symptoms last two to three days after starting the antibiotic drops and then drastically improve. This time that is not the case. I am on my fifth day of antibiotics, and after having relief on the second and third days, my eyes have now flared up worse than before I started the medication. I think it’s back to the doctor for me tomorrow. I am starting to think this outbreak is allergic conjunctivitis, and my current drops are just not going to help it..

I have been teaching school for 20 years and surprisingly, this is the first time I have ever had pink eye. It has been quite a yucky experience! I have been very uncomfortable from the pain and feeling that I had sand in my eye. There seems to be a constant discharge and the area around my eye is raw from the discharge. After two days of antibiotic drops, I can tell some difference but not a big improvement. After reading about it, apparently it will take several more days to be resolved. Sure hope I don't ever get it again! .