Clostridium Difficile Colitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis).
What were the symptoms of your clostridium difficile colitis?

Published: March 11

I tested positive for Clostridium difficile back in January and since then tested negative 3 times which is good, but I still feel so sick not with the going to bathroom but just don't feel right. Some days are good some bad, I wonder if this is normal after testing negative. I also think I got an ulcer from all this ordeal. When I eat now I get crazy pains above the belly button to breast, and it keeps me up at night. Last night I thought I was having a heart attack, it was so bad so I went to emergency but they would only check to make sure it is not my heart, and said to see my family doctor. Sometimes I feel like going crazy and feel like I will never get better..

I was a pretty healthy person until this Clostridium difficile colitis got me. I exercise, eat healthy, and am not overweight. I slowly became bloated, had cramps, and was very tired. The pain was so bad I went to the emergency room (ER). I had a CT scan and told I was constipated. I told them about small odd bowel movements that were explosive. I asked if they could test my stool, they said they don't do that but a specialist could, and they insisted I was constipated. They put me on Miralax and a giant jug of liquid to drink every 30 minutes till I cleaned myself out. Of course this did nothing to help. Back to my doctor, I was sent to a gastrointestinal (GI) specialist, who could not see me for another 3 weeks! I begged and got in to see the GI specialist in a week, had the stool test finally, and was found positive for C. difficile. By researching I knew that was a huge possibility, I had the exact symptoms. I just finished a round of the standard antibiotics for C. difficile, Flagyl. I felt better towards the end of that treatment, just less bowel movements, and more energy. Now it is a week since I am off medications and I'm back to square one. My doctor recheck is still a week away. I have to beg to get in again sooner. No luck. Why does a person with all the classic symptoms of C. difficile go untested in an ER! Why don't physicians take this seriously! And why don't doctors do the FMT (fecal microbiota transplant) treatment as standard procedure to cure the patient! Another loud stomach noise, cramps, and bloated night of pain! Best of luck to you all that have this, always listen to your body, be your own advocate to stay well or get well..