Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sty (Stye).
Please describe your experience with sty (stye).

As a child, every year I had 8-10 sties, those painful infections of the eyelid. One day in the 7th grade my English teacher told me that he used to have multiple sties at a time and had stopped the infections by eating cabbage. I began eating a daily chunk of cabbage and within 6 weeks the sties stopped, and I have never had another. 25 years later my 8-year old son said that his best friend had frequent sties. I recommended cabbage, he followed my advice, and he has not had another sty. Today, at 63 I continue to eat several servings of cole slaw and cooked cabbage every week. .

I'm 28 years old, and I got my first stye last week. My lower left eyelid was swollen. I thought I got bit by a bug so I took a Benadryl, and went to work. It basically disappeared a couple days later. It reappeared with a vengeance the following day. I did the ice pack and hot pack on Monday evening. The bottom of my lid was swollen, sore, eye slightly discolored, and I was highly annoyed because a growth started on the inside of my bottom lid. The next day the lid swelled even bigger. I started doxycycline 100. The eyelid feels better already, but I have a headache that's awfully annoying. Hopefully, in the next few days, I can be Stye free. Next time, I see this I am going to try the Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I heard it works, and I read it on this forum. .