Sleep Apnea - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sleep Apnea (Obstructive and Central).
What were the symptoms of your sleep apnea?

I am 40 years old and have been told of and noticed these sleep apnea symptoms since I was 19. Day, and seemingly at night, I am told I hold my breath by what seems to be taking air in, and then on a not conscious level the air stays in my body. My heartbeat does not appear to change, not stopping, slowing, or speeding up, and I do not realize this is happening. A few nights ago, I was asked if I was ok since my breathing was overly emphasized I was told, the only thing I knew was different was I was just falling into that beginning-to-dream state. As a child, I had acute mal seizures but was not taken off medicines for it by a doctor, but by a non-caring parent. Also, no matter how much sleep I get, I don't feel rested, hardly ever..