Thrombocytopenia - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count).
What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia?

Published: March 09

I am just starting this process. I have platelet count of 51.The thrombocytopenia was found by accident by blood test, some things I have found out by myself. I broke my shoulder and 30 days have passed. After pain medicines ran out I still needed help, I was taking 1800 mg of acetaminophen every 4 hours. I go for another blood test soon. Doctor thinks this will fix its self. I stopped taking acetaminophen. My shoulder was black and blue and this is starting to look better. I would like to keep you updated as I go on..

I was diagnosed at the early age of 15 with idiopathic thrombocytopenia. I had bruising and the red spots covering my body along with bleeding gums while I slept at night. I had numerous blood test and was sent for a bone marrow biopsy. Prednisone helped, but after stopping the steroid my blood counts would drop. The doctor ordered a splenectomy and now I'm 43 years old and no signs of bruising, no petechia, and blood counts stay up in the 100,000s..