Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis (Chronic).
How long did the symptoms of your bronchitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: March 08

I have asthma and am on Symbicort and ProAir inhalers plus Singulair on a regular basis. I got a virus 14 days ago that set off asthma and then bronchitis. I started myself on prednisone and an expectorant on the fourth day when it got worse. Three days later my chest was ‘bubbling' with wheezing and I saw my primary physician. He added an antibiotic to be safe and told me to call back the next morning. The next day I could only blow 150 on my peak flow meter and called him. He put me in the hospital and I was there for five days under the care of a pulmonary specialist. I'm home but struggling to breathe and with extreme tiredness. I saw my regular pulmonary specialist yesterday as part of the follow-up. She noted I'm still very congested and that it's going to take a long recovery period. One doctor told me it takes three months to get over a lung problem like this, whether you're 25 or 75. This is disheartening but at least I know why it's so hard and so slow to improve. But it will..

Relieved to read of patients' prolonged recovery time from bronchitis, as my general physician seems to think I should be better after a week on a strong antibiotic (500 mg amoxicillin, 3 times daily). Although the bronchial cough is less 'thick', it is still almost continuous and I feel totally exhausted. Normally, I am a quite active, 83 year old, don't smoke, am not overweight but bronchitis has knocked me for six! I have not dressed for a week but am walking around the apartment and taking vitamin supplement etc. I am having to force myself to eat but trying to drink (lemon and honey mostly) often. Nights are the worst, when coughing fits leave me sleepless and worn out! Doctors keep saying cough medicine is worse than useless but I find Benylin with the diphenhydramine content is very effective. Beginning to feel I'll never get well again!.