Bronchitis - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bronchitis (Chronic).
How long did the symptoms of your bronchitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Relieved to read of patients' prolonged recovery time from bronchitis, as my general physician seems to think I should be better after a week on a strong antibiotic (500 mg amoxicillin, 3 times daily). Although the bronchial cough is less 'thick', it is still almost continuous and I feel totally exhausted. Normally, I am a quite active, 83 year old, don't smoke, am not overweight but bronchitis has knocked me for six! I have not dressed for a week but am walking around the apartment and taking vitamin supplement etc. I am having to force myself to eat but trying to drink (lemon and honey mostly) often. Nights are the worst, when coughing fits leave me sleepless and worn out! Doctors keep saying cough medicine is worse than useless but I find Benylin with the diphenhydramine content is very effective. Beginning to feel I'll never get well again!.

I made a short visit with a friend (who told me she had bronchitis and had just seen the doctor), and sure enough after 3 days it started. I had a burning sensation in my chest, a dry cough for 2 or 3 days, then started coughing more and more. I have no fever, been to the doctor, and chest sounds clear as a bell. Now, on my 11th day I am tired, still coughing, taking OTC medicine to control the cough (Mucinex night time) and everyone tells me to take massive doses of vitamin C. I am pleased to hear that the length of this is not unusual. I suspect I'll feel better in a week but this is rough! Thankfully, no fever, body aches or headache. But my chest feels like it's going to explode someday! Stay well, folks..