Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease.
What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?

In the last five months, I developed blisters on one leg, along with edema of the calf. My vascular specialist(s) have insisted on heavy-duty support hose, with my coumadin. There is little pain, but some discomfort..

I found out I had PVD in 2009. I was 37, it started as a rash on my lower right leg. It then turned into an ulcer. I thought maybe it was caused from a spider bite or something of that nature. I was treating it with an antibiotic cream but, to no avail I had to visit my doctor. She tested it and sent me to a vascular surgeon. He made the diagnosis - PVD. I had heard about it but, thought it was a disease for older folks. I mean I'm 37. But, then I thought obesity does play a part. He suggested an Unna Boot, so I did that for eight months. I've had a blot clot to form in both lungs, after that a bad infection which only responded to IV antibiotics. Needless to say this has disrupted my life in such ways I can't begin to explain. I'm just glad I'm still here to tell the story. I still see my physician twice a month every month. It has not gone away but, it's a lot better and a lot less pain..