Whooping Cough - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whooping Cough.
What symptoms did you experience with your whooping cough?

I am a healthy 80-year-old widow and have been diagnosed with whooping cough. I did not have a cold or sore throat; just a cough which was initially diagnosed as viral bronchitis. The cough was getting worse and quite different from bronchitis, which I have had before. A trip to the hospital Urgent Care Department revealed I had whooping cough. No medication was given. I was just told it would take at least 6 weeks to clear. Then went to see my family doctor who prescribed Azithromycin for 5 days. This has helped, but the cough is still persistent but the coughing attacks are now mainly in the morning and at night, but I just feel exhausted. As I live by myself, I just have to struggle and get on with it, although I don't go outside. Fortunately my son brings me some groceries. He got tested by his doctor and fortunately he has not been infected but he has had the vaccine repeated. Now in my 6th week - hope it clears up soon..

I am 75 and suffering with COPD but the cough is very similar to what everyone describes as whooping cough. I did have whooping cough as an infant. That was in 1935, long before antibiotics and we lived a primitive life without electricity, running water or central heat. Apparently I was not expected to survive but thanks to my mother's excellent nursing skills here I am. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a connection between COPD in adults and whooping cough in children. My COPD was not diagnosed for about six years and now I have fluid on my lungs and major congestion. .