Black Widow Spider Bite - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Black Widow Spider Bite.
What was the treatment for your black widow spider bite?

Published: June 21

I was bitten on a Tuesday but never saw the spider. Very painful. I applied cortisone and an hour later started feeling weak and sore. The bite was very red and about the size of a half dollar with a little mark in the middle. That night I had persistent chest, arm, and back pain. Wednesday morning, I had fatigue and muscle pain throughout my body. I went to my doctor and was told it was classic black widow spider; high blood pressure, fever, pain, and flu like symptoms. He prescribed Benadryl, cortisone, ice, and ibuprofen. Thursday I couldn't work and couldn't walk because of the pain. Site was growing in size and redness. I called the doctor but they never called back. Fever was rising. I took more ibuprofen. It helped the pain and the fever. Friday, I was trying to go back to work. Seems better in the mornings. We'll see. I guess the venom will just have to work its way out. My advice, see a doctor but don't count on much relief. According to others, it may take a few weeks..

Published: March 15

I was bitten by a black widow spider. I had no access to medical help. When a red line started to go up my arm I used Epsom salt, made a paste, applied it, and secured a cover on my arm for about a week and a half. It finally started to clear up, but for about a month I was very disoriented, tired and restless. It left a pit type scar. Hope it never happens again. I will hesitate to seek care..