Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fifth Disease.
Please describe your experience with fifth disease.

I had Fifth Disease in 1963 when I was about 15 years old. I had a very high fever (106 was what Mom reported), and was terribly sick with rash, the fever, and my body was so sore, I could not be touched. I ended up with a MS diagnosis in my 30's, which may have been related to that illness. I was also depressed for a time after the disease, and very weak with some problem walking. To this day, I have a rosacea type rash on my face, which just looks like a healthy rosy appearance. I had treatment for rash, but it didn't help. Being so young probably helped me recover, however, this is, in my opinion, a disease that needs watching, and more study. If I had had better care, I may not have ended up with future problems in adulthood. My doctor, at that time, knew of the disease, and diagnosed it, but I had had rubella, and the regular measles as a younger child, and chicken pox, and I think I may have developed an autoimmune disorder after that. I also developed heart disease in early 20's..

I got Fifth disease in '72. At the time I came down with it I was a fairly heavy smoker. I was so sick for two days that I couldn't smoke and ended up quitting. My body was so painful that I didn't want to be touched anywhere as it increased the pain immensely. I was in bed with this for at least four days and finally broke out with a rash. Before I came down with this I had fight to keep myself up to 100 lbs. After getting this I developed a constant hunger and I am talking about having this feeling 24 hours a day! The weight started piling on. Thankfully I read somewhere that if you were lacking Choline you could have a constant hunger. I started taking lecithin that contains choline, and within a few days lost the constant hunger. However, my metabolism no longer burns as fast as it did before I contacted this and have fought the weight ever since. Along with the weight I also developed arthritic like symptoms. At one time it got so bad I couldn't even walk by myself and it hurt to even breathe. It has never been that bad since but I have had aching every day since. Some days are fairly good but I never have a day that I am pain free and it has been 38 years ago. I was 27 at the time I got sick with this and evidently picked up from one of my two children. They had not showed any symptoms that I noticed..