Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fifth Disease.
Please describe your experience with fifth disease.

My daughter got diagnosed with fifth disease, when I was pregnant with our second child at the time, about 7 weeks into the pregnancy. Two weeks after my daughter got diagnosed I tested positive for the disease. The same day I found out the results, I lost my baby. My doctor didn't deny nor confirm that that was the reason, but I know in my heart the virus had a lot to do with it. I have never heard of that disease until now, I wish a lot more mothers to be are aware of it and do whatever they can to protect their unborn babies. There is just not enough awareness of the disease and the way it creeps up on you it's terrifying. I do not wish this to happen to anybody!.

I had Fifth Disease in 1963 when I was about 15 years old. I had a very high fever (106 was what Mom reported), and was terribly sick with rash, the fever, and my body was so sore, I could not be touched. I ended up with a MS diagnosis in my 30's, which may have been related to that illness. I was also depressed for a time after the disease, and very weak with some problem walking. To this day, I have a rosacea type rash on my face, which just looks like a healthy rosy appearance. I had treatment for rash, but it didn't help. Being so young probably helped me recover, however, this is, in my opinion, a disease that needs watching, and more study. If I had had better care, I may not have ended up with future problems in adulthood. My doctor, at that time, knew of the disease, and diagnosed it, but I had had rubella, and the regular measles as a younger child, and chicken pox, and I think I may have developed an autoimmune disorder after that. I also developed heart disease in early 20's..