Stingray Injury - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury.
What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?

Today I was stung by a stingray in Florida. I too thought I was bitten by a crab, but when the pain got so unbearable and my hand became numb, I knew something was not right. When I got back to the beach house I put ice on it and the pain got worse and I felt sick to my stomach and fainted. My husband called a medical clinic and they had him bring me right in. They soaked my foot in extremely hot water with Epsom salt. The doctor later extracted the barb from my foot and soaked it again. I received a Tetanus shot and was prescribed antibiotics and Zyrtec..

I was stung by a stingray while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico by St. Petersburg Florida. I have never felt so much pain in my life and I have been stabbed twice. When I first felt it, it felt horrible. I had pain shooting clear up to my knee and my left leg felt paralyzed. It got me on two of my toes and thankfully the barb wasn't in it. I went to the ER as soon as it happened. The doctor stitched it up and gave me antibiotics. Apparently they weren't helping because I ended up back at the ER with a skin infection known as cellulitis. I was on an IV for 3 days getting antibiotics. I looked like a pin cushion. My toes still aren't fully healed but they are slowing getting there. Needless to say I will never go swimming in the ocean again!.