Stingray Injury - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury.
What treatment did you receive for your stingray injury?

I stepped on a stingray in Peru 10 days ago. At first I thought it was a crab or something biting after I felt movement under my foot. I rushed to the shore and found a 1 cm bleeding cut in the soft part below my ankle. I humped across the beach to find a shower and flushed it while letting it bleed, I guess half a cup of blood. An employee from the hotel had seen me humping over the beach and came with hot water and soap in which my foot soaked for 15 to 20 minutes. After that he gave me a cotton pad soaked in hydrogen peroxide for disinfection. Actually the H2O2 was the most painful part. After an hour sitting (was entertained by jumping humpback whales far out), the wound seemed closed and I was able to walk normally. Here 10 days later the skin is almost healed in the middle of a 1 inch pink spot, and I feel itching in all of the original cut (1 or 2 inches deep) and a little pain when pressing the area. I didn't get any tetanus or antibiotic shots..

Published: June 02

I was hit by stingray four days ago in Mexico. The pain was excruciating. The wound is 1 inch long by 1/8 inch deep, which is pretty bad. Hotel medics shot 6 ccs of lidocaine directly in the wound. I was then carried to the car and taken to Urgent Care. The doctor cleaned the wound, gave me more lidocaine and a shot of pain medicine in my butt. I got a tetanus shot also. I am taking amoxicillin as a precaution for secondary infection as long term health issues can occur. This is nothing to fool around with. I clean and dress the wound twice a day and no more beach or pool for me until it heals. A lot of people say soak the affected area in hot water, but I advise against this if the water is not clean as then you are soaking your open wound in dirty hot water. I suggest a trip to a medical clinic immediately. It has been four days and my foot is swollen and black and blue. The wound does not seem to be infected but I am watching it carefully..