Scabies - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Scabies.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies?

Published: December 04

My son had all these little red bumps all over his body. So I took him to the doc and she looked at him and said that he had scabies. I was a little scared I have never had to deal with this before. I have 2 other kids. So i went to get the medication and we applied for it after paying 50 dollars and washed all the clothes and bedding, floors, and everything. Now he has been home from school for over a week and still nothing. I don’t think that he has scabies. He has nothing in his hands, feet, and nothing showing that it is tracking and browning in his skin. Nothing on his elbows or underarms. The places he has it is face, noes, eyelids, lips, chest, hips, and waist..

My dr. is totally convinced that I have scabies, and I’m pretty sure she's right. Unfortunately, I’ve used Permethrin 3 times in the last six weeks and have had no success. I’ve had this rash, which started on my head about 2 weeks after a haircut in a busy salon, for about 9 months now. I’m getting scars on my chest and back, plus it has spread to my face. I’ve tried Benadryl, cortisone creme, and no luck, not even with the itching. However, I have experienced a minute change since I starting using Aveeno colloidal oatmeal lotion 3 times a day in addition to colloidal oatmeal baths daily for the last week. If this stuff doesn't go away, I’m going to lose my freaking mind! I can't go back to work until I am rid of this, per my boss. It is difficult to go back to the dr. to get more creme, which also is not cheap. If anyone has any ideas, I’d love to hear them and if anyone has luck with the oatmeal, I would also like to know. Even though it's only been a small amount of help, it helped more than 3 treatments of Permethrin. What’s crazy is that I’ve had it for 8 months, and my fiance hasn't had the first symptom. It’s not in the bends of my body, either rather my back, and face, chest, and a small spot on my ribs, a streak on my stomach, and a patch between my hip and pelvis. Part of me wishes this could be a misdiagnosis. I just want it gone! Any tips would be more than greatly appreciated!.