Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema.
Please describe your experience with emphysema.

Published: December 17

My father is a physician and 68 years old. He has been smoking since he was in medical college and now for 2 years, he has been diagnosed with emphysema. He didn’t share it with anyone, but as a daughter and as I am a physiotherapist myself, I forced him to get x-ray chest done. It was then that I came to know. He is having cold and cough almost all the days since 2 years. He is practicing and doing all the activities and has a healthy lifestyle, but due to coughing, at night he is not able to sleep properly and have to sit up many times. This makes me and my mother very worried and we feel very bad but helpless. He is not ready to stop smoking though he has reduced the amount he smokes. I can’t see him suffering and get worried about future as it is progressive. He is doctor himself so I can’t tell him anything as he knows the consequences, but I am worried and caring daughter..

Published: December 13

I am 28 years old and the daughter to my mother who is 63 and has mild/moderate emphysema. I have needed to find any information possible on the treatment of this disease as frankly I find watching my mum suffer everyday just sometimes too much to bear. She found out 3 years ago about her disease. I feel much is kept 'hush hush' from me as I know she doesn’t want me to worry. She was hospitalized once, released and still continued to smoke not taking it very seriously and then a year later found herself in the same position again and it was the scariest thing of my life!!! Finally after much emotional begging from me and my family and telling her I couldn’t bear to watch her do this to herself she listened and stopped smoking. I knew she 'had' a chance to make a difference to stop smoking and then amazingly she did-cold turkey. She had smoked from had the age of 16 to 61 so I knew how difficult it would be for her-I have never been SO SO proud of her. I am so proud of her but I still have to deal with this and want to do anything to help her as our bond between mother and daughter means everything to me!! Your website has helped me so much and the phase 'it’s not a death sentence but a disease to be treated' made my heart so much lighter..