Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema.
Please describe your experience with emphysema.

I am 72 years young, and I started smoking when I was 13; I know that was crazy. But I did it anyway, both my mother and sister died of emphysema, I watched them gasp for air but that did not stop me and I smoked for 60 years. I take 2 inhalers, I can hardly to anything; oh, let me take that back, I can’t do anything. I just about walk to living room from my bedroom and I cannot breathe, I am on 2 1/2 liters of oxygen, but it really doesn't help. I can take a shower without help, find that I can’t breathe; so many things one can do, but life just stops, and you only have one thing left and that is trying to breathe. Please, if you smoke, quit! I thought I would never get COPD or emphysema but you can and you will. Please quit today..

Published: June 26

After having a persistent cough for over a year, I was diagnosed with COPD in March this year. In that time my emphysema has got worse to the point where not only do I have trouble sleeping at night, I also struggle to get air into my lungs. At best, I can get about 1.5 to 2 hours sleep before I have to get up. When I do get up my routine is that I have to sit on the edge of my bed for about 20 minutes, I then literally stagger into the sitting room and open a window to try and get some air. All the heating is turned off at night and there is ventilation, but even with that nights are a misery..