Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema.
Please describe your experience with emphysema.

Published: April 13

I was diagnosed with stage 1 emphysema in 2010. Not sure how long I had it before being diagnosed. I am now in stage 2, and losing my breath quite easily even when doing housework, and I have to walk my dogs slowly. I sometimes have chest pains and tightening like I'm wearing my bra too tight, when I don't even have one on. I was doing fine while exercising and riding my bike, but have stopped doing both. I keep saying I'm going to start again, but sometimes wonder what the use is. I don't understand why they haven't done more studies on emphysema, plenty of people die from it. I guess I'm afraid of the death, as I've heard it isn't pretty. But I try not to think about it. I did this to myself by smoking for nearly 40 years, but I did quit the very day I was diagnosed, with the help of e-cigarettes. Don't start smoking, young people and if you have, stop!.

I am 72 years young, and I started smoking when I was 13; I know that was crazy. But I did it anyway, both my mother and sister died of emphysema, I watched them gasp for air but that did not stop me and I smoked for 60 years. I take 2 inhalers, I can hardly to anything; oh, let me take that back, I can’t do anything. I just about walk to living room from my bedroom and I cannot breathe, I am on 2 1/2 liters of oxygen, but it really doesn't help. I can take a shower without help, find that I can’t breathe; so many things one can do, but life just stops, and you only have one thing left and that is trying to breathe. Please, if you smoke, quit! I thought I would never get COPD or emphysema but you can and you will. Please quit today..