Heat Cramps - Signs And Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Heat Cramps.
What were the symptoms of your heat cramps?

Two days before the heat cramps I experienced calf cramps in the middle of the night. The morning of the day I experienced heat cramps my hand had a cramp in the grocery store just writing one check. I worked all morning on an 80 degree day and later all afternoon with just a 15 minute break. At 6:00 pm my inner and back thighs cramped. I sat on the ground and stretched but the spasms lasted 5 to 10 minutes. I called my husband to pick me up at the job site. He arrived in an air conditioned vehicle but I had another set of cramps 20 minutes later. He helped me exit the vehicle so I could stretch. Ten minutes later I was in a bathtub with 6 inches of ice water and 6 oz. of salted beer. Twenty four hours later I have muscle fatigue and mild cramps if I exert. I have been taking in lots of fluids and some salt added to food, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon per meal. I weigh 130 pounds and am in good shape for the work I was doing. I think I will up the salt on my food to 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per meal. I need to work again tomorrow evening!.

I live in Arizona and I began running and walking in extreme heat. On the first day, my foot cramped so I stood still until the cramp went away. I made it home but the painful contraction or tightening was in my calf muscle. My second day out, I did not have cramping, but I sat down on the curb and could barely squat because my legs were so tight. A local cop drove up while I had my head down on my knees to ask me if I was okay. I replied, “I need to exercise,” and walked away making it home in the sun. I think the cop was trying to help me, not chase me off. Anyway, I got home and iced my legs and was fine 2 hours later..