Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat.
How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: April 12

I woke up Saturday and my right gland was swollen. I didn't think much about it as that's a pretty common sign for me that I'm about to get sick or my body is trying to fight off something. By two O’clock that afternoon, I started having what I thought were flu like symptoms. My head started to hurt, I was feeling nauseous to my stomach and I had a fever and chills. I took some over the counter medicine and tried to sleep it off. I woke up around 12:30 am early Sunday morning and I was so weak I could barely stand. I managed to get myself to the emergency room unaware at that time that my tonsils where completely white. I tested positive for strep in the ER and was given a form of penicillin to take for 10 days and some Motrin. Sunday night I changed my clothes three times from night sweats. Monday morning I felt like I had not made any improvement in that 24 hour period so I followed up at my regular doctor. I was still running a fever and I had this massive headache accompanied by an excruciating pain in my right ear. My doctor took me off the pills and gave me the one time shot, within the next few hours I started to feel some relief from the pressure in my head and my ear. I stayed in bed the entire day in hopes that when I woke up this morning I would somehow feel better. The pain in my throat and my ear remain. I’m not sure how long this thing has to run its course, but I sure will be glad when it’s over, and surely I wouldn’t wish this pain on anyone..

Published: April 21

Yuck. I thought it was just a virus, so I let it go for about 5 days. The throat pain was terrible and getting worse rather than better. When I went to the doctor three days ago, the rapid test came back positive for strep. She gave me penicillin and lidocaine. The lidocaine was absolutely useless; it created more pain when I swallowed it than it relieved when it took effect. One thing that did help me, though, is frozen cola drinks - slushees, icees, whatever they call them in your area. It's still very sore when I talk, but it's much better and I'm going to try to go back to work tomorrow. 8 days of pain and counting!.