Stingray Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury.
What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?

I was stung by a stingray 3 weeks ago in Treasure Island, Florida. I was in chest deep water (with my 2 kids) and felt something crunch hard on my foot. I thought maybe a crab, I had no idea but it started bleeding immediately. No life guards on this beach. I lay down for a bit with foot elevated and poured water on it to clean it out. Pain progressed to the worst pain I've ever felt. I went to the emergency room (ER) which figured by puncture wound description, that it was stingray. I got tetanus shot, pain medications, an x-ray which showed no barbs, was given antibiotics. My foot was red and swollen for a week, then started to get better, then it blew up red and hot. I went to urgent care and was given stronger antibiotic and topical application. Next day the wound started to grow and turn black. I've seen many wounds in my line of work so knew this didn't look good. I went to the ER, more x-rays were done which showed nothing. I was put on 3 doses of antibiotics. I followed up with my primary care physician, then was referred to infectious disease doctor where stat MRI was ordered and sent to podiatrist. The podiatrist debrided top layer of wound as necrotic. I will return to both doctors next week and will find results of MRI and am presuming there will be more debridement of wound. My foot is still sore to the bone and swollen. I can't get shoe on. The radiology technician said something about cellulitis so I am sure they will put me on more antibiotics as I have now finished the 3 doses I was on. This is nothing to mess around with. I did not know to put in hot water until after the fact. Thankful that it was me instead of my 2 kids that was right beside me. Needless to say I will likely enjoy the beach from my chair and stay out of the water going forward..

Published: June 07

I was stung on the top of my left foot while walking through shallow water in South Carolina. It felt like someone banging a red hot nail into my foot and the pain went up and up for the next few hours. I usually deal with pain well, but this had me sweating and asking for cold water while I was being short/rude with family members that were just trying to help me. My father took me to the hospital where they put my foot in very hot water, which helped a ton. They x-rayed my foot and gave me a tetanus shot. It took months to heal. My foot will never be the same. It hurts sometimes and the scab still flakes to this day, a year later. I was with many of my young nieces and I am always thankful that I was stung instead of them. What a nightmare that could have been!.