Stingray Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury.
What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?

Published: June 07

I was stung on the top of my left foot while walking through shallow water in South Carolina. It felt like someone banging a red hot nail into my foot and the pain went up and up for the next few hours. I usually deal with pain well, but this had me sweating and asking for cold water while I was being short/rude with family members that were just trying to help me. My father took me to the hospital where they put my foot in very hot water, which helped a ton. They x-rayed my foot and gave me a tetanus shot. It took months to heal. My foot will never be the same. It hurts sometimes and the scab still flakes to this day, a year later. I was with many of my young nieces and I am always thankful that I was stung instead of them. What a nightmare that could have been!.

I was fishing in Exmouth Gulf in Western Australia and got stung by a stingray in my left ankle. The barb went in about 2 inches and initially I thought it was a shark. There was heaps of blood so I got out of the water as soon as possible. It took about ten minutes to get back to camp and while boiling the Billy the pain was unlike any I ever had experienced. But as soon as I put my foot into hot water it eased. After about an hour I removed my foot from bucket and had a shave (fresh water was scarce so thought I would use it). Four days later we went into town and saw the doctor. They gave me antibiotics in a drip and next morning I drove home. I got there late and had more antibiotics in a drip. I had a week of pills since and they run out tomorrow. The wound is getting bigger and a little painful so will go back to the doctor in the morning. We’ll see what happens..