Stingray Injury - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stingray Injury.
What symptoms did you experience with your stingray injury?

I was fishing in Exmouth Gulf in Western Australia and got stung by a stingray in my left ankle. The barb went in about 2 inches and initially I thought it was a shark. There was heaps of blood so I got out of the water as soon as possible. It took about ten minutes to get back to camp and while boiling the Billy the pain was unlike any I ever had experienced. But as soon as I put my foot into hot water it eased. After about an hour I removed my foot from bucket and had a shave (fresh water was scarce so thought I would use it). Four days later we went into town and saw the doctor. They gave me antibiotics in a drip and next morning I drove home. I got there late and had more antibiotics in a drip. I had a week of pills since and they run out tomorrow. The wound is getting bigger and a little painful so will go back to the doctor in the morning. We’ll see what happens..

Two days ago I stood on a stingray whilst paddling with my kids and I shot out of the sea like a madman. After I had realized what had happened and started to bleed from my instep onto the sand the pain started. I am not a wimp but that pain is like no other. I am just glad it happened to me and not my 9 and 7 year old kids. We found a clinic nearby and I had to keep my foot in what felt like boiling water for an hour. A day later there is no pain just a big swollen foot and I cannot move my toes. I am taking antibiotics and had a tetanus jab. I just hope the swelling does down soon so I can wear my shoes again. The posts on here are really interesting and thanks to everyone who contributed..