Mitral Valve Prolapse - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mitral Valve Prolapse.
What symptoms did you experience with your mitral valve prolapse?

I am a 54 yo male. I have Hep C and am currently being treated for that with Chemo drugs. I was just diagnosed with MVP. Now that I have gotten info off the internet I figured out may have had this for years. The Hep C meds I am on make you feel like a DEAD PERSON so getting hit with this was bad timing for me! My PVC's were crazy and then the increased heart rate really freaked me out. For me it may be something I will just have to live with and watch, as most heart drugs can hurt a sick liver. Of course the ones that don't hurt your liver just don't work for me. I gave up coffee, sugar, Candy and am working on quitting smoking. Since nicotine causes symptoms to get worse I can't use patches and am getting ready to just try to stop. While I wait out finding a drug to help, low dose Anti anxiety med help slow my heart down. I have also been taking a pill for sleep 7.5 mg. I dump 1/2 that cap out in the sink and take the rest that is helping also without making me to tired. I drink lots of water all day (if you drink a lot of water you should have your Sodium and Potassium checked every 2 weeks for the first month after starting the increase in water because you can wash them out if you’re on a diet or not a big eater.) I stay as busy as possible try not to think about it and keep my attitude positive. I actually went 6 days and felt fine without having to take anything. It seems like most doctors are just too busy to deal with this and I am sure my cardiologist is trying to kill me! LOL Well good luck everyone it's not as bad as you think! Don't freak!.

I am now 24 years old and am a second year medical student in the Philippines. I was 19 years old when I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. I was then a nursing student. I knew there was something wrong with my heart ever since I went to college, where I was subjected to more stress on top of being away from home. But then one day after studying for three long exams, I experienced chest pains radiating to the left medial side of my arm. I was crying then because the pain was really severe. The pain even persisted until that night, which prompted me to seek medical help. Now, I am living a normal life. I am surviving on medicine, even without coffee! My palpitations and chest pains have lessened, though I would still have a feeling of being drowned when I would sleep. Well, I just maintain a positive outlook in life. I remain cheerful and I have tried to minimize my aggressive and perfectionist personality. I also find time to exercise amidst my hectic schedule. And I just try to enjoy what I am doing..